The one that got away - Part 2 - Ed x Reader

The long dark car drove through the equally dark streets of Gotham. The eyes of the passenger in the back of the vehicle, moving from one building to another. It had been a long time since she had been here. A long time since she had seen this scene. But she was sure that it hadn't changed any. Every building, every brick, every little stone on the damp road, exactly the same as it had been the day that she had driven away.

It seemed so long ago now. So long ago that she had sped away in the fast car that she had been able to scrape enough money together to buy. So long since she had escaped the life that had been forced onto her. It wasn't that she could blame her mother for leaving; her father's drinking had gotten out of control and her mother had been the outlet for his drunken anger. But what she could blame her mother for, was leaving her behind. Leaving her to deal with a man that couldn't function until he had had at least half a bottle of vodka.

She would be the first to admit that she had avoided this city like the plague for as long as she could. There were too many ghosts. Too much heartache attached to this place, and even though it might be considered cowardly by some, she hadn't wanted to face that heartache again. To confront the ghosts of her past. Or should that be one ghost in particular. A phantom by the name of Ed.

She had met Ed on her first day of high school, and for some reason, she had found herself drawn to the tall, gangly, awkward young man. She had to say, that even she had found his love of puzzles and riddles in particular, a little odd. But that was what made Ed, Ed. She had found him the sweetest of boys. The blush that would come to his cheeks when they would talk in the beginning, would always make her smile. And she had quickly found herself becoming not only his friend, but also his protector. More than one of his bullies having found themselves on the wrong side of one of her fists. But as they had aged, as they had grown, she had come to feel more for the gauche, riddling boy. She had come to love him. To love everything about him. The sweet, kind and gentle Ed being the first boy that she had ever kissed. The only one that she wanted to kiss.

But the last time she had seen him, he had hurt her. Despite everything that he had said. Despite swearing his love. Promising that they would always be together, he had not loved her enough to go with her the day that she left this rotten city and her alcoholic father behind. And for a long time, she had been unable to forgive him, angry that despite everything they had done and been to one another, he had still chosen his mother, a woman that never truly loved or cared for him, over her. But, as she had tried to find her way in the world beyond the dark city, she had finally forgiven him. Hoping that he had achieved what she knew he was capable of. That he had become something great. That the world had been better to him as an adult, than it had been as a child.

She had to confess that her own life hadn't been easy. That perhaps it really had been better that Ed hadn't been with her in those first few days, first few months, as she hated the idea that it would have dragged him down. That he would have come to despise her for taking him from Gotham. But, when life had seemed at its lowest, a series of strange quirks of fate had begun to work in her favour. The stars aligning, or perhaps just good old lady luck had smiled down on her. Yet whatever the case, here she was, back in the old city. Back where everything had begun. Though she doubted that she would bump into the any of that old life. And even if she did, she didn't believe that her once beloved Eddy would even remember who she was.

"We're here, ma'am." The driver suddenly announced. The woman shaking the memories from her mind before looking at the old building. The driver opening the door for her.

"Ma'am............is everything alright..........?"

"Oh, yes Henry............everything is fine. I was just.............just thinking." She replied, before taking his hand and allowing him to help her out. The two proceeding to the doors of the old building before making their way up the stairs. The two smiling as they as came face to face with three people.

"Commissioner (Y/l/n). It is a pleasure to finally meet you. I'm Captain Essen." A woman said, as she stepped forward and held out her hand.

"It's a pleasure to meet you too captain. I am so looking forward to seeing how you and your officer's work. The processes of the GCPD have always intrigued me. I am sure that there will be much I can learn from your detectives while I am here. Hopefully I can take some of it back home with me............" The commissioner replied before her eyes went to the two men that were standing there slightly awkwardly.

"Oh, yes. May I introduce two of my best detectives, they are going to give you a quick tour of the precinct before we get down to other matters...........this is Harvey Bullock and Jim Gordon..............."

"Ah........the infamous duo. Your reputation proceeds you gentlemen. I have heard quite a few things about you both................."

"All good I hope...............?" Gordon asked, as he shock her hand.

"No..........none of it was good. But.........well, I find that bad cops have a tendency of doing that to their decent colleagues. Making out that they are the bad ones, just to try and cover their own asses. So, to be honest, the more bad things I hear about you, the more I like you. Now........how about that tour..............?" The commissioner explained. Chuckling softly to herself, as Bullock gestured for her to follow him.

                                                            >>-------------------------------<<

"And last but by no means least, we have the forensics slash labs, slash morgue." Bullock announced as they got to the doors. The Irishman looking over at Jim, who just gave him a shrug in return.

Up until this point the tour, had gone quite well. The two detectives had been quite amused by the stories that the commissioner had been told about them. Jim and Harvey refusing to confirm or deny the rumours, which seemed to be something that amused the rather beautiful commissioner. But now.........well now here they were, both men just hoping that the first thing out of the forensic scientist's mouth, wasn't something weird.

"Ah yes, the gory section of the tour. Well, good job I'm not scared of a little blood." The commissioner replied, before Harvey pushed on the door, the trio stepping inside. The eyes of the woman falling on the back of a rather tall man with black hair. Her heart beginning to race, as the man turned and looked at her.

"E-Eddy.....................?"

"(Y/n)........................?"