Shield - Part 4 - Jim x Harvey x Reader

Jim tried to get himself comfortable in the hard chair, his head slumping back and his eyes focusing on the ceiling tiles above. The door to the room in which (Y/n) lay, was closed; but he could still hear the beep that indicated that his friend was still alive, and that was all he could cling to at this moment.

He couldn't help but let his mind slip back to what had brought him, what had brought (Y/n) and Harvey here. To the job that was supposed to have been like any other; but this was Gotham, nothing was like anything else. There was always something a little different about the crimes and their scenes in the dark city. Normally, he, and every other cop that was worth their salt, knew to expect anything and everything. They knew that there could be anything waiting for them around the corner. Yet today, he, Harvey and (Y/n) had seemed to have forgotten the golden rule. The rule to expect the unexpected. Jim promising himself that he would never do that again.

"Would you like a coffee, detective...........?" A voice suddenly asked. Jim moving his head to see the older of the two nurses that had been at the desk, smiling at him.

"Er........yeah. That would be great, thanks............" Jim replied, giving the older woman a slight smile in return.

"I'm sorry..............." Jim continued, as the nurse turned to go back to the desk. Her brows furrowed, as she looked at him.

"My partner, he was a little..........well............"

"There's no need to apologise, and I've met worse. He was just worried, and Doctor Jameson can have a bit of a stick up his ass at the best of times. She's his girlfriend, then............?" The nurse replied, as she moved to look through the window of the room.

"Yeah, more than, really. I think that he's got his mind set on having her make an honest man out of him. That is if she pulls through.........." Jim explained. Hating himself for thinking, even for a moment, that (Y/n) might not.

"She's doing well, especially given what she's been through. The doctors did their best; they did all that they could. The rest.........well, that's up to her. The next twenty-four hours are crucial. Though I think that it'll help that he's there. I've always found that loved ones talking to a patient, can really help." The nurse continued, as she turned away and smiled at Jim again.

"I'll get you that coffee................."

Jim slowly got to his feet and looked through the windows to the room. The sight making his heart ache. It was true that they had lost other officers before, they would probably lose more; but never had it hit so close to home before. (Y/n) was not only a good cop, but a good friend too; and the last thing that he wanted was for her name, her badge to be on the wall with all the others that had fallen in the line of duty. He knew that she was a fighter, that if anyone could pull through this, then it would be (Y/n); but if she didn't, he hated to think what Harvey might do.

"Coffee.............."

"Er........thanks." Jim said, as the nurse came over to him and handed him the cup.

"I brought one for your partner too. It looked like he might need it. Oh, and er, I thought I would let you know that Doctor Jameson has called your captain and complained your friends behaviour." The nurse continued apologetically, Jim glancing back to (Y/n) and Harvey in the room beyond the window.

"To be honest, I think that that is the least of his worries at the moment; but thanks for letting me know." Jim replied, nodding his head in thanks, as the nurse opened the door for him so that he could make his way into the room.

                                                       >>---------------------------------<<

"Harv..............." Jim said quietly, as the door to the room closed equally as silently.

"Harvey..............?"

"She won't wake up............." Came the reply from the man by the side of the bed. Jim placing the two cups on the table, before making his way to join Harvey.

"She hasn't been out of surgery long, Harv. The nurse told me that she's doing well, considering what she's been through. That the doctors did the best they could with the surgery. She'll be ok, Harvey; this is (Y/n) we're talking about. She won't be able to resist waking up so that she can tell you that she saved your life." Jim told Harvey with a small chuckle. The younger man doing his best to lighten the situation.

"Yeah, you're right. As soon as she wakes up, she'll never let me live this down." Harvey agreed, doing his best to laugh in reply. His hand gripping a little tighter to the woman's that lay silently in the bed.

"I brought you a coffee. Its on the table............."

"Thanks. Maybe later. You should go and rest, the cap will need you on that case tomorrow..............." Harvey responded, before going back to just looking at (Y/n). Jim simply nodding and giving his partner a reassuring pat on the shoulder, before slowly leaving the room.