Down the Rabbit Hole - Ed x Reader

You watched forlornly as Ed mooned over Kristen Kringle once again. You knew that she wasn't interested in him, but you daren't tell him as you knew that he would tell you that it was none of your business and to keep your nose out of his affairs.

You had tried to tell him before, tried to tell him that she was with someone else, that she didn't care for him; but Ed would have none of it, and it had basically meant the end of your friendship. It seemed like the whole precinct knew about Kristen and Dougherty, but poor Ed seemed to have missed the memo.

You had known Ed for years; growing up, you spent more time at his house than you did your own; helping one another with homework, defending him against bullies, and even being his prom date. You had even both started at the GCPD at the same time; when he became medical examiner, you had started your police career working your way up to detective and being partnered with Harvey Bullock and Jim Gordon.

Over the years the pair of you had trusted each other with everything, and over those years you had come to deeply love your shy intelligent friend. Yes, he was different; yes, he found it difficult to get along with others, and most couldn't understand his obsession with riddles; but all those things just made you love him more. He was smart and funny, kind and caring, and he would once have done anything for you; but that seemed such a long time ago now.

"Come on kid, we got work to do." Harvey said, dragging you out of your thoughts.

"You know he's an idiot, don't you?" Harvey said, slipping his arm around your shoulder.

"If he's too blind to see that you are more beautiful, and intelligent than Kringle, then he doesn't deserve you kid."

Harvey may not have been the best guy in the world, he drank too much and had an obsession with Danish pastry, but underneath it all he had a heart and he had always only wanted what was best for you.

"Come on, Jim's waiting downstairs in the car." Harvey said, pulling you behind him out onto the dark streets of Gotham.

                                                       >>------------------------------------<<

Hours seemed to have passed before you, Jim and Harvey made your way back into the precinct, the job had been another dead body; another lifeless corpse to add to the long list of unsolved crimes that hung over the GCPD like a dark cloud. The precinct was for once seemingly quiet, a brief respite in the usual insanity that was your life. You heaved your heavy body back to the office slumping down in the chair across from Jim's.

"I know it's a bad thing to say (Y/n), but you will get used to it. We all joined the academy promising to protect and serve, wanting to always find the bad guy and bring them to justice; but this is Gotham, and despite all our best efforts the bad guy doesn't always get what they deserve." Jim said, as he watched you, a defeated look in your eyes.

Jim remembered the days when he had been the same way, desperate to give the families of the dead answers, to give them closure; but as the bodies had piled up over the years he had become numb, and the concepts of good and bad, right and wrong became mixed; no longer knowing where one ended and the other began. And looking at you now he didn't want you to go through that, to become as jaded as him and Harvey, so he had to tell you the truth.

An unbearable silence descended over the office, until it was broken by the sound of yelling from somewhere in the precinct. You knew instinctively that Ed was going to somehow be at the centre of what was going on, and despite everything that had happened between the pair of you, you had to help.

Jumping up from the chair you rushed out of the office, searching for the source of the noise. It didn't take long; god knows the morons causing the problem weren't intelligent enough to keep their antics quiet; pushing your way into the locker room you saw Dougherty and four others surrounding Ed. Even though Ed was tall he wasn't as strong as the thugs that bore down on him, and every instinct told you to go and fight by his side.