Back from the dead - Part 7 - Harvey x Reader

Harvey opened the brown bag and pulled out the Chinese takeout that he had bought for dinner. Spreading the food out across the coffee table. As (Y/n) finished up in the bathroom. It was strange being back in the apartment after all this time. Even stranger that (Y/n) was only in the other room. Up until a year after she had supposedly died, Harvey would often find himself driving past the place when he couldn't sleep. He would park up and just look at the window. Often hoping that at any moment the light would go on and he would see (Y/n) standing at the window. Yet unfortunately he never had. The apartment remaining as quiet as the grave.

"Something smells good." Harvey smiling as he watched his friend come out of the bathroom. The female detective drying her hair with an old towel. (Y/n) now looking more like (Y/n). The pink hair replaced by her true colour.

"I'm starving." She continued, as she sat crossed legged on the sofa next to Harvey, picked up a fork and grabbed one of the containers.

"So, what do ya think?" (Y/n) asked, as she pushed a fork full of rice into her mouth.

"Hmmmmm, its ok I suppose." Harvey replied. Laughing as (Y/n) slapped him playfully on the arm.

"You look beautiful, sweetheart. Just like you again." The Irishman told her. Harvey sure that he had never seen her look more beautiful.

"Why, thank you kind sir. Though I must admit that it feels a little weird seeing myself look like this. Its strange being me again." (Y/n) replied with a soft chuckle, before she took another mouthful of food. The two of them sitting there for a moment in complete silence. Neither of them really sure what to say next, despite all that they had to talk about.

In truth, Harvey wanted to ask her all about what had happened to her over the last three years. About why she had all the tattoos and the wild pink hair. About what she had had to become, and why. Yet it didn't feel like the moment. It was just nice being back in her company and Harvey didn't want to ruin that. Hopefully they had the rest of their lives to talk about that. The detective sure that (Y/n) would tell him about what really happened when the time was right for her.

"So........what do you think that Sarah has in store for me tomorrow? I'm sure that she's gonna throw me right back in at the deep end. I just hope that I won't end up drowning." (Y/n) continued, finally breaking the silence. Harvey smiling at her, as he sat back on the sofa.

"I don't think that you will find that it's changed much since you've been gone. It's the same old stuff. Dead bodies here, paid assassins there, and robberies, gang wars and shootings in between. You will feel as though you never left us. And even if you do feel like things are getting a little too much for you, I promise that Jim and I would never let you drown, sweetheart." Harvey told her. (Y/n)'s eyes turning to the floor, at the mention of Jim's name.

"Do you think that Jim will ever forgive me, Harv? That he will ever want to talk to me again? I can only imagine what's going through his head. He must feel so betrayed. Not long before I went, I promised that I'd never leave. That I would never hurt him. Yet I did both in one foul swoop. I let him think that I had died for three years, then just appear out of nowhere like nothing had happened. Hoping beyond hope that he would still want me in his life. I couldn't blame him for hating me. For wanting nothing to do with me............."

"Hey, hey. Don't talk like that." Harvey interrupted, taking the food from her hand and putting it back on the coffee table before taking her hands in his.

"Jim could never hate you. He could everyone else, but never you. He just needs a little time to think. To get his head straight. I bet when he sees you tomorrow, he'll want to talk. But if he doesn't, you always have me..........."

"Will you stop talking about yourself like you're some consolation prize, Harvey. You're making it sound like you're second best. Just because I was with Jim, that doesn't mean that I didn't...............that I don't care for you. I mean, if you had had the nerve to say something to me. To ask me out before Jim did, I would have said yes, you know. Despite what you might think. I fell in love with Jim. I.........I'm still in love with him. The last three years haven't changed that. But that doesn't mean that I don't love you too." (Y/n) said, as she took her turn to interrupt. Her hands squeezing his a little tighter. Leaning in closer to Harvey so that she could kiss him on the cheek. The Irishman staring at her wide eyed.

This was one of those things that the two had never discussed. But how could they? Harvey wasn't about to ask her why she had chosen Jim over him. Both Jim and (Y/n) were his friends, his partners. And once he had got over his initial hurt and anger about them being together, he had done his best to move on, to accept that this was just how things were going to be. Yet here she was telling him that if he hadn't been such a coward, it could have been him that had been with her.

"Hey. No more sad talk, okay? I want to enjoy spending the evening with you, just like old times. We can deal with all the sad stuff tomorrow." (Y/n) told him. Moving in so that she could snuggle into Harvey's side. Harvey placing his arm around her shoulder.