The one that got away - Part 5 - Ed x Reader

"I believe that this could be something to do with me, captain. You see, Ed and I were once acquainted. I lived here when I was younger, and he and I went to high school together. I had no idea that he was working here, so when detective Bullock opened the door to the lab and we saw one another, I have to confess that it was a bit of a shock, apparently it was for both of us." (Y/n) said from behind Sarah. The commissioner smiling slightly, as she looked up at Ed. The Gotham captain turning to look at the woman that she thought had never seen the city before.

"Oh, well then............perhaps you would like to............." Sarah said, gesturing for Ed to join (Y/n) in the office. Seeming to suggest that the two should take a chance to speak. Ed eagerly moving forward.

"No, no...........I have a feeling that your forensic scientist has lots of things that he should be doing, especially given the number of murders in the city, and this is no place for a private catch up. I am sure that during my stay in Gotham, he and I might be able to talk when we aren't both on the clock. But for now, captain, if we have finished, there are some other meetings that I need to attend to..........." (Y/n) replied, Ed stopping at her words. The scientist looking around, and suddenly feeling very awkward. Suddenly realising that people were watching. That they had seen the interaction. Ed dropping his eyes and finding himself just nod feebly in agreement.

"Of course. Would you like one of my men to drive you to your next appointment? They could wait for you and take you to your hotel after........."

"No, no, I am sure that your officers are far too busy to be used as chauffeurs for me, and I have Henry anyway. But, as I will be spending the day with detectives Gordon and Bullock tomorrow, perhaps they would be good enough to pick me up from the Imperial Hotel in the morning." (Y/n) explained, as she looked to Harvey and Jim. The two men looking to the captain, who gave them one of those, 'I will tell you in a minute' looks in return, before Harvey got up from his seat on the corner of Jim's desk.

"Er...........yeah. Eight in the morning.........Imperial Hotel............." Harvey agreed, still not sure what he and Jim had been roped into. The commissioner nodding in thanks and shaking Sarah's hand, before turning her attention to Ed.

"It............it was very nice to see you again, Ed." (Y/n) told him, before giving him one last small smile and then walking to the stairs and quickly making her way down them.

                                                      >>----------------------------------<<

"Ma'am...........are you alright...........?" Henry enquired, as he took as he took his seat behind the wheel.

"What...........? Oh, yes, Henry. Everything is fine. I don't have any other appointments for today, do I...........?"

"No, ma'am. The rest of your meetings are on Wednesday.............."

"Good. If..........if you could just take me to the hotel. I will be joining two of the detectives on a ride along tomorrow, so if you could round up that paperwork and the crime statistics that we spoke about for the evening, I would appreciate it.........."

"Yes of course.............." The rest of Henry's words drifting off, as (Y/n) turned her eyes to the dark buildings. She knew that she shouldn't really have said what she had to the Captain about having other things to do, but she would never know and they had organised what they had to do for tomorrow, so.............Ed................Ed.................she still couldn't believe it..........Ed................it really had been Ed..........hadn't it..........? Of course it had been, that was a silly thing to think, who else would it be. It looked like Ed, sounded like Ed, so therefore............it was Ed. Her Ed..............well, he had once been her Ed. Perhaps she should have taken Captain Essen up on her offer of using her office to speak to him? He certainly seemed eager enough to do it. But...........but all those memories that had come rushing back at the sight of his face, had also brought with them an old pain.

She would never admit it to anyone, but when she had raced away that day, she had been afraid, and she had stayed afraid for a very long time. It had really been the first time in her life that she had felt that way; even when her mother had left, she hadn't been afraid, and she had come to realise that that was because Ed had still been there. But as she had left Gotham, as she had made her way to find her new life, her bravery had remained in the old city with the boy that she had loved. Only then seeing that it was having Ed with her, that had always made her so brave. Had given her the courage to fight of his bullies, to remain strong enough deal with a father that couldn't get his ass out of bed until he had finished most of a bottle of liquor. And as much as she wanted to feel that old bravery again, the recollections of the fear, of the tears and uncertainty she had faced were now angering her. Perhaps it was like cutting her nose off to spite her face, but there it was..................

"Ma'am................."

"Yes Henry................?"

"We..........we're here.............." The driver told her. (Y/n) looking up to see the frontage of the rather splendid hotel. The doorman smiling at her as he opened the door of the vehicle.

"Thank you, Henry. I will see you tomorrow evening." (Y/n) replied. Giving Henry a smile, before making her way into the Imperial.