Chapter 4

The girls on the other side of the door speak loudly, not one of them worried about being overheard. I lean my head against the flimsy wood, my movements so subtle they barely make a sound. 

"I bet she's confident she's going to debut in the new group, that's why she didn't turn up for practice today." Said a voice that sounded like it belonged to Grace. 

"Yeah, she's probably out celebrating while the rest of us work our asses off. Wish I had a famous friend who could bring me this much attention. And don't you think the timing is just too convenient. Dalia dies and suddenly the whole world knows that she was childhood friends with Jina." 

I stiffen as I recognise that voice almost immediately. Jinyoung, more commonly know as JinJin has had it out for me since the beginning. She's always hated that I never catered to her every whim and fancy like the other trainees did. 

JinJin has connections in our company. Her uncle is one of the biggest investors at Firefly and it's obvious she throws her weight around because of it. I've just never been the type to suck up to someone so I've kept our relationship cordial without licking her boots all these years. 

Sadly simply being nice hasn't stopped her from resenting me and the other trainees with a similar mind set. Although the resentment has grown exponentially within these past few days. 

"Are you saying she's lying about her friendship with Dalia?" Someone else speaks up.

"I mean there is such a thing as editing apps. I'm just saying," JinJin concludes, leaving her words open to interpretation and my blood boiling. 

I want to kick this door open and tell her to get a life but my one and only friend, Binna speaks up for me. 

"Come on. Be realistic. If the photos were doctored that would have come out by now. Knowing Dalia's fans. We all know how obsessive and thorough they are. Jina isn't lying about this and she didn't leak it to the media. We all know Mr. Oh did." 

"Yeah, whatever. I saw her on the live broadcast today at the funeral. Her legs looked really big and flabby. She shouldn't have worn a dress," Rachel, JinJin's right hand man answered.

I know she's lying but I instinctively look down at my legs and twist my ankles to check my calves. Does this dress really make me look bad? 

My lip trembles and I bite it instinctively. Why do I always let these girls get to me?

"Ya, she looked kind of fat. The executives are not going to be happy about that," Grace agrees and I take this opportunity to push the door open, ending their conversation. 

All twelve trainees look up at me with big beady eyes and innocent expressions like they all weren't just talking shit about me. Only Binna looks pissed but she covers it up quickly and smiles at me. I'm guessing she doesn't want me to know about their conversation.

Too late for that. 

"Hi, Jina. Where were you? We missed you at practice today," JinJin says sweetly and most of the girls nod in agreement as they stare at me inquisitively. I notice all of them are still dressed in their sweats and t-shirts from practice. 

They have sweat stains under their armpits and down their backs. Although, JinJin still manages to look effortlessly beautiful even with her dyed hair matted to her forehead and  baggy Adidas t-shirt. Her cheeks are bright pink and her light brown eyes are narrowed on my face as she waits for my answer. 

"I just got back," I lie through my teeth, not wanting to tell them I had just spent an hour plus with non other than Jiho, while they were dancing their asses off in the studio. That would only make them hate me even more. I now thank my lucky stars that they didn't catch us on the way back.