Chapter 13

Numerous people flood the walkways, most of them brushing shoulders with me, some even glaring when they bump into me as if it's my fault they can't see where they are going.

My mask is on and thankfully no one recognises me. In fact most people here look like they are rushing somewhere the moment they've come out of the subway. Another person hits my arm and I weave out of the way and follow Hyeon who is already a few steps ahead.

He turns around to wait for me to catch up and I gulp slowly before reaching his side. The crowd around us thins and I didn't realise how much of a solace they were. I'm out here all alone with this stranger, at least if something were to happen to me a thousand eyes would bear witness.

"It's just up ahead," He murmurs, leaning in so I can hear him. He has his mask on as well so I can't read his expression but the excitement in his eyes is evident.

I follow his gaze and immediately catch the large pink neon sign board on the corner building across the street. It flicker's on and off occasionally casting a ghostly glow over the graffiti on the building's wall.

Hyeon insisted on bringing the soju I never touched and I hear the bottles clinking together as we hurry across the street. My stomach churns with the soup I gobbled down. He was right, that was the best mussel soup I've ever tasted but as we approach the darkened corridor, I feel my food inch it's way up my throat.

Hyeon touches me softly, guiding me to the counter ahead but it only makes me flinch. I don't know why I'm so unnerved, he hasn't done anything remotely dangerous ever since we met. The only creepy thing is that he knew about my evaluation yesterday and I'd hate to wonder if there are other things he knows as well.

The guy behind the counter barely pays attention to us as he accepts Hyeon's cash. He has striking blonde hair buried under large black headphones that cover his ears and he occasionally bobs his head making me wonder what song he is listening to.

I follow Hyeon up the staircase and I look down to see a large arcade occupy the ground floor. Some kids dance on the step master, while others shoot down zombies on the tv screens next to them. The room upstairs is smaller but still one of the largest cyber cafes I've ever been to.

We head to the back where there are less people using the computers. Although, I doubt anyone is going to pay much attention to us. Most of them are gamers and their eyes are glued to the computer screens in front of them.

No one even looks up when we pass by.

We settle in and Hyeon surreptitiously places the bottle of soju in front of me while he starts up the pc. I eye the alcohol, wanting to take a sip to calm my nerves and inwardly cursing at him for tempting me.

"Look," Hyeon says softly. Some loud techno music is playing in the background but he is sitting so close, it's easy to hear him and even smell the soft lavender scent of his hair. I lean away slightly when I realise this and pretend to focus on the screen.

He opens a folder and I read what looks like a classified document.

Blood thumps in my ears, matching the beats of the music around us. This is an official document. I've seen this format before, I've even signed a similar one when I joined Firefly as a trainee. The chop at the bottom could not have been doctored.

I turn to Hyeon who is staring at the screen as well. He could not have possibly made this up.

My eyes narrow on each line with laser focus and sure enough Dalia renewed her contract with PT entertainment but not with her group Sweet Poison. She had plans of going solo and writing music for the company.