Chapter 8

There must be magic in the written word because I coast through the next few days with everything moving  smooth like butter. 

I know it is foolish to believe some random letter from an anonymous person but I keep the hope it gives me locked deep inside, a secret I will never share with anyone but myself. The craziest thing is that it works. 

Believing the letter makes me happier, it makes me more invested in my lessons and I finally got the last verse in our dance routine right, earning a look of approval from Mr. Lee, the hard ass.  

Even Ms. Noh says I've improved although she still insists that I need more emotion when I rap. Her words do little to get me down, I'm still as motivated as ever and every night I come home, anticipating a new letter. 

So far no frilly, laced up ones have arrived but still I continue to wait. 

Tomorrow is our evaluation with Mr. Yang and the executives. It will be decided then who gets to perform at the showcase with Viva and the ones not chosen will be eliminated. I've done the calculation over and over again in my head. 

There are fifteen of us. Three will be lucky enough to be paired in duets with Viva members and management has decided that ten girls will be selected to dance the girl group number. Only five will be selected to dance with the boys. 

The chances of one girl getting chosen for all three performances are minimal so I've roughly estimated that there might be around two or three eliminations. Provided the executives are in a generous mood. 

If luck wasn't on our side then the maximum amount of girls they could get rid of is five. That would be the largest removal we've ever had.  

Today is the last day for us to practice and all of us have gathered in the dance studio, our vocal lessons and studies done for the day. Outside our tinted windows, the sun has begun to set but for us the night is still young.

I sit on the floor, legs splayed out in loose comfortable trainers and bend over to touch my fore head to my thighs. The familiar pull in my hamstrings loosens and I stay that way while the others do similar stretches. 

"Okay girls. Get into position," Mr Lee instructs the moment he walks in and I glance up at the door, heart beating in anticipation. 

We haven't seen the boys of Viva since the day I broke down before practice and I would be lying to myself if I said I didn't hope to see Jiho today. We heard they will be joining us for our last practice so I can't help the disappointment I feel when Mr. Lee walks in alone. 

It appears the other girls share my sentiment as well because I see JinJin, Rachel and a few others gaze at our double glazed doors longingly before it slides shut with a soft click. 

Mr. Lee walks up to the speakers and puts down his notes. He is wearing a long orange sweater today, with white pants and red shoes that match his glasses. Maybe this colour combination might have worked for someone else but it just makes him look like a street cone. 

We get into position and I put my hands on my knees, ready for the music to start. Once the beat kicks in my body goes into auto pilot, limbs and hips moving to steps I have practiced so often I could do them backwards. 

"Expressions girls! Engage with me! Engage with your audience." Mr Lee claps his hands, drawing my attention to him. 

"Good Binna. JinJin and Rachel doing good." 

I force all my energy into the next few steps, giving it my all. 

"Jina, more emotion. You look like a block of wood."