Chapter 12

As Binna has pointed out before, there are quite a few stark differences between someone who grew up in the city and someone who comes from a smaller town. 

Binna was born and bred in the heart of Seoul whereas I have only known Hadong prior to living in the city. Experiencing the crowded footpaths and bustling subways had been a culture shock in the beginning. I remember being pushed out of the way numerous times by people rushing to their destinations. 

If it's one thing I've noticed people in the city are always in a rush. They rush to work, hurry to dinners or lunch's, they even rush to take leisurely walks in Namsan park. 

When I came here I was deemed to be someone too relaxed as pointed out by Binna which would explain the dirty looks I used to get when crossing a road. 

I would say I've adapted pretty well. My walking pace has picked up and I don't daydream while waiting for the traffic light to turn green anymore.

But there is one thing that has been hard to change though and that is my trust in people. In my small community, everyone knew everyone. A child could run out of their house late into the night and the entire neighbourhood would know about it in an hour. 

Aunties gathered in the mornings to gossip and ferment kimchi, children got together in the evenings to play squid game. I could walk into a restaurant and talk to almost everyone eating there. 

This was glaringly different in the city and during our first night out, someone nearly stole my bag that was lying on the restaurant bench when I went to the toilet. 

Thankfully, Binna's sharp eyes had spotted the perpetrator quickly and she had grabbed my bag before shouting at him to get lost. I had gotten a long lecture that night about being too careless and trusting. 

I'm more careful now that is for the sure but the trusting part definitely could use a bit more work or else I wouldn't be sitting in a train right now, on the way to meet Anonymous. 

It is already half past eight and the train is still bustling with people. I lean back, my head resting against the glass window and stare at the view outside while my earphones blast the latest songs on the Melon Chart. 

I can't stop thinking about tonight. I probably should be scared about going to meet a complete stranger who has been communicating with me through fan mail, I know Binna definitely would be. 

She would have stopped me and called me out for being so reckless. 

The thing is I don't feel reckless at all. I tap my feet to the beat in my ears and fear is a distant emotion compared to the excitement currently flooding through me. 

Someone shifts next to me and I barely even notice. I'm too busy conjuring up scenarios about how tonight will play out and if Anonymous is real. 

A smooth female voice announces that we have reached Gangbyeon Station and I quickly get up to leave - not before checking if all my belongings are in place -. Quite a few people get out with me and I weave through the crowds like an expert and head to station Exit 1. 

I've never been to this side of Han River so I had to google the directions before. Thankfully, the rows of food stalls I'm looking for are right across the street. It is almost 9pm and my nerves start to buzz like bees at the back of my neck. 

I take in the row of flimsy looking stalls, each one shielded from the streets by long plastic sheets blocking my view of it's occupants. 

I put away my earphones and the sound of car horns blaring and loud music fills the air. I cross the road carefully and make my way down the footpath.