Chapter 31

"I'm sorry about just now," Hyeon says in a low voice the moment we get into the car.

It's the first time he has spoken since we left the bar upstairs. Not that I've been particularly chatty myself.

I keep thinking about the way his face had been so close to mine. About how he had sucked in a breath when his nose brushed against my own, the tingling sensation that resulted from that tiny bit of contact. About how strong his arms had felt when they were encasing me and the urgency in which he fisted my hair.

I'd always been too focused on Dalia when I was around him but right now Dalia is the furthest thing from my mind. Hyeon's strong, he's much stronger than I'd expected him to be.

If he had leaned in and kissed me just now, I might not have been able to stop it.

My stomach is doing little summersaults and not the excited, good kind you hear about in movies. It's a weird feeling. I'm not sure if I should feel scared that I'd just put myself in such a situation or grateful nothing happened.

"Jina?"

I jump slightly, startled by the sound of his deep voice and then finally turn to look at him.

His hair is slightly ruffled, a loose lock has fallen across his smooth forehead. His skin tone reminds me of warm caramel, not pale like the idol skin we're used to on Tv but I like it, it reminds me of my father's tan after a long week out on the fields.

His eyes are laser focused right now, studying my face intently. I'm only now noticing that he has the longest lashes and his cheek bones are so pronounced he could be a model.

He's good looking, it's undeniable and my heart is beating so fast. I take in a deep breath and calm myself. This is nothing, we are nothing.

I'll solve this mystery with him and then we'll go our separate ways after we get our closure. I need this as much as he does and that is it.

Anything else that would come out of this would be toxic.

He's practically an ex Dalia stalker and he reached out to me only because of her.

"I'm fine. Don't worry," I finally say after recollecting my thoughts. The relief on his face is evident and it calms me as well. He's obsessed with Dalia. We're here because of Dalia. He's safe. I'm safe.

He runs a hand through his hair looking apprehensive. "I didn't know what to do. They would have recognised you—"

I shrug nonchalantly and smile. "I know. You did what you had to do and I'm thankful. If it weren't for you, I would have clammed up, Jungseok would have caught us and God knows what Loona would have done."

My praise seems to placate Hyeon even more and he finally turns his attention back to the road. We drive out of the small town and head back into the city.

"I know a really good place with the best ox tail soup. It will be prefect for your hangover."

"I'm actually feeling much better already but tired. I think I just need to rest. Maybe we should call it a day," I reply. All I want to do is head home and lie in my bed. Today has been too eventful and the stress of spying has left a heavy weight on my shoulders making me feel bone tired. 

But I notice a muscle tick in that sharp jaw of his after I say this.

"Really? I feel bad, sending you home on an empty stomach. It's just around the corner. Fifteen minutes tops. We can discuss today's events and I'll send you home right after." The insistence in Hyeon's voice doesn't go unnoticed and before I can say another word he takes the turn off to a row of food stalls.