Chapter 39

"I'll see you at the dorms," I mouth to Binna and try not to think about everyone staring at me as I quickly rush after Mr. Yang. 

I can feel my heart bobbing in my throat as I fall in step by his side. His short strides making it easier for me to catch up with him.

He never used to pay much attention to us before but I've noticed his interest ever since I started appearing in media articles. 

We remain silent during the lift ride and all the way down the parquet floors that lead to the meeting room by his office. He walks inside first and takes a seat at the head of the large table in the room. This one is smaller than the one on the fifth floor but it still makes me want to bolt out the doors or hide under the table.

Our last meeting ended with a warning and judging by how last night ended, I have a feeling this one's going to be somewhat similar. 

Half of the ceiling lights are turned off and there's no circulation, making the air in here stifling. It feels so empty with just the two of us and I remain standing, staring at the nine remaining vacant seats that surround the onyx marble table. 

"Take a seat, Jina," Mr Yang commands, waving a hand in the air in a business like manner. 

I swallow so hard he could probably hear it and take a seat to his right. The chair is so large, it feels like I'm being swallowed, drowning under that unreadable stare of his. 

Mr. Yang clicks his tongue and rests his elbows on the table between us. "The last time we met was because you had snuck out at night to meet your sister. Now I hear something similar happened last night . Granted, we don't enforce curfew but as your designated agency, I feel we have the right to know of your whereabouts." 

He pauses and I'm not sure if he's waiting for me to speak. 

"For safety reasons of course." He quickly adds. 

Silence ensues and his lips purse when I don't respond. 

"Sorry," I quickly say, realising he's giving me a chance to defend myself. I stand up and bow just for formality's sake before sitting back down. "I made a blunder on stage yesterday and couldn't sleep. Sometimes I take a walk just outside the dorms and it helps me relax myself. I'm sorry if my actions caused anyone worry, I didn't mean for it to turn out that way. I used to do this a lot in Hadong and it's been quite a hard habit to break."

Hadong. Dalia. The friendship that is the only thing driving interest to our company - aside from Viva-  and our groups upcoming debut. I notice Mr Yang shifts slightly, his stance softening after hearing those words. 

He nods but I can't tell if he's buying my words or not. The only thing I'm certain of is the fact that JinJin ratted me out to management. I'm just surprised at how quick she acted. We've been at rehearsals all day, when did she have the time to inform them?

Mr Yang leans back, studying me. "Listen, I know you're dealing with your friends death. And it has been a lot but we can't have any scandals so close to your potential debut. Understood?"

I nod obediently. 

"And I say potential because nothing's set in stone yet. You are all still trainees."

I nod again, trying my best not to grimace at that statement. 

"Are you seeing anyone?" He asks, his tone much too threatening to be casual. "Romantically?"

I gulp again and it feels like I've just swallowed an entire apple. "No," I quickly say after a short pause but my heart is beating too hard, too fast, thoughts of Jiho and last night making me want to throw up.