Sun Dragon Arc - Chapter 40: Mythical Beast

"Pardon?"

He muttered after a while, his eyes looking white but his mana arranging to form a spell, since he might try to attack me, I began conjuring a short sword behind me just in case.

But I can see that he's simply assessing my mana. Knowing how elves behave now... I can guess he's going to instantly agree with the marriage proposal.

"Hm..."

He pondered while stroking his chin. Please don't tell me I'm right, I swear he's a bad father if he does agree immediately.

"Please give me some time and I may consider it."

I guess not all my predictions are right. What a fine father for him to think about it first before agreeing.

"Putting that matter aside, my daughter being married to you isn't a reward but a matter of choice. What do you wish for other than that, Seven Clavery?"

"Let me think about it. Please give me a day and I'll make my decision."

For a moment, I felt movement above us but I didn't mind it since I couldn't feel any hostility or bad omens.

"Thank you for giving us a chance to repay you. For now, will you accompany me to the town square? We are not the only ones who wish to thank you."

He was referring to the elves that live in this forest. That night, with the exception of the injured soldiers, the elves introduced themselves and offered me their gratitude by giving me their mana as well. I don't know why they do that, but for some reason it feels like I'm being blessed and my mana was starting to increase it's recovery. Sadly, I secretly rejected the mana coming from the male elves since I didn't like the idea of their mana entering my magic core.

I should stay at the elven camp for a while to think of what reward I'd want. The first thing I thought of was asking for money, but then I remembered that the elves don't have much, given they don't use money often. On that note, I decided on something exclusive only to the elves.

"Hey Estel, I'm thinking of what reward I'll get from this village. What do you think should I pick? Does your place have something like an artifact?"

That night, I decided to stay in the village chief's house which was the highest and biggest tree in the village and also where Estel and her mother lived.

"I think I've heard of us having some, but I can't seem to remember."

"Are you by any chance referring to the ones in your father's treasury, daughter?"

A sweet and gentle voice came from behind us, ascending the stairs carrying a fray with drinks was Estel's mother, Khloie.

"Honey juice!"

The moment Khloie-san placed the fray on the table located in the balcony, we were invited to drink with her something like an orange beverage, it tasted like honey and beer combined. And Estel apparently loved it.

The scenery from below us was the unscathed remains of the village. From this height, I can confirm that the dark lord's army didn't do much damage just yet when I had arrived which I'm thankful for. And the damage itself was being repaired by the workers.

"So the village chief has artifacts in his treasury? Can I pick one of them as my reward?"

"Indeed, I can affirm that my husband would give any of them to you without hesitation."

While saying that, Khloie-san smiled brightly, she really gives off an impression of being a lady. I can't bring myself to accept how she's her parent though, but Estel and Khloie-san really do look like they're around the same age as if they're nothing but sisters. Elves are terrifyingly amazing in longevity.