Side Chapter 2: Reconnaissance Sedar

Fwish

Clang

Pssch

Amidst the dim and dark woodlands, a battle was taking place. Two large groups of opposing sides engaged in a remorseless confrontation that left the ambience of the surroundings in a state of anarchy.

On one side were a group of mercenaries and knights guarding a grandiose steel truck. Their forces comprised of protectors recruited to safely escort a well known big shot from a business trip back to the Dukedom Of Perfetto, an independent sovereign state not tied to any nation. Their fame is not anything notable but their economic advancements aren't something to scoff at either if it were to be compared to other medium sized sovereignties.

While on the other side are brigands standing with the crystal clear goal of looting the band of protectors and snatching the dignitary.

"Men, you all know we're going to die right?" A critically wounded knight spoke in a subtle tone, his weariness was starting to show from his faltering hips. "I'm sorry for failing to safely return everyone to their homes."

They were severely outnumbered. 9 mercenaries and private knights were left from this skirmish when originally they had more than 40 footsoldiers, together they formed a circle with a truck at the center.

The brigands enclosed them in a big circle of madness. More than a hundred ruffians were surrounding the escorts from all directions.

"Gah, why don't you just surrender?" A buffed brigand with a big chin pointed his rusty great sword at the Escort Operation's Leader. "If you give up now, we can take you hostage and sell you as slaves instead."

Having been humiliated like that, the caravan leader smacked the sword away with his hands and stood clear for any conspicuous movements. But that earlier assertion the brigand made just now gave rise to a confusion within his ranks.

"R-Really? Is that true?" A knight missing a right hand spoke, he was beginning to feel hopeful that they'd be spared.

"Wh-What are you—" The caravan leader tried to reprimand his colleague, but before he could finish his sentence, his head glissaded from his neck and fell motionlessly to the springy turf of the forest ground.

"Sure sure, we won't kill you. If you put down your weapons and let us take the people inside that vehicle that is." He proposed, a red glint was evident in his blade that he used to decapitate their higher-up while his eyes showed no signs of care and lacked any spec of mercy. However, the knights and mercenaries were too overwhelmed to notice this.

"Ofcourse, we will not harm the people inside. We will only extract some money from them and they'd be going scot free. Isn't that well civilized?" He added after seeing how skeptical they looked from making this decision, surrendering would mean they'd be failing their one job and become enslaved. Another possibility is those ruffians won't keep their words.

"So how about it?" He repeated again, and to his delight, all of the enemy personnel who were still alive dropped their weapons to the ground.

"That's what I like to see." He said with a joyous expression that normally a grandmother would make to their favored grandchild. "Now, OPEN FIRE."

The escorts had grim expressions on their faces after hearing his following words. Before they could even formulate a response and re-equip their weapons from the ground, a volley of arrows had already sunken into random parts of their bodies. The numerous cries and weeping of the soldiers brought inhumane contentment to the criminal gang.

"Y-You said, you'd only enslave us! Wh-Why did you go back on your word, you fiend?!"

"Oh please, did you actually think I'd spare you? Defiant losers like you who only have one arm can't even sell as a slave. Well, keke... Perhaps the girls can atleast serve their purpose for us later." He replied to the knight on the verge of death while disgustingly licking his lips with his greasy tongue.