Part 3

Vinod remembered the little girl who trailed behind him

Vinod remembered the little girl who trailed behind him. He was in his early twenties then. And she was a cute kid. Things changed. He moved on with his education and business. Later Reshma came into his life. Other relationships were left behind. He never saw that little girl whom he used to give chocolates again. 

But today he was disgusted.  To think he did all those to a child, he wanted to puke. But she was not a child anymore and was  a woman getting married.  Relief! But. Wait! Isn't she getting married? Did she know him?  That didn't matter . She was cheating on her fiancee. He was disturbed. 

When he was in his reverie,  they had finished a whole lot of small talks and a new family joined them  It was a beautiful girl and a middle aged woman. His mother soon became very active. 

"Vinu. Haven't I told you about Divakar and Lalita? This is their daughter Aparna." He neither knew them nor had an idea of such a trap behind today's visit.

"Hi. Vinod. Aparna completed her masters in Economics and is working  now. " Seems the other side was well aware. This is moving fast.

"You know she is kind. Also she won a show 'The Homely Chef' recently.  She is beautiful and talented." His mother was looking at the girl with devotion. 

"Vinod  also. Such a nice boy." Her mother too didn't back down. Boy? He? He was a middle aged man.  Did they knock their heads somewhere today?

"Aparna also won the best employee of her company recently.  She is the pet of her company." His mother was trying very seriously to catch his attention.  But no. He was not interviewing a candidate for his company. 

"And divorced too." Another female voice sounded. Everyone turned towards Arsha in shock. 

"What divorce? She just lived with him for a week. He was such a devil. She had to leave him." Lalita was the first to recover.  She looked indignant. His eyes turned to Aparna.  She was calm. Interesting!

"Vinod. You are also...." His mother tried to ease the situation.  But she couldn't complete her speech before Arsha spoke again.

"Rich and handsome but divorced. But both of them don't match well." This time his mother was furious. Aparna's mother was ready for an attack.  Aparna was still calm. Arsha' s mother was burning in shame. Arsha looked unbothered. He struggled to control his laughter. 

"Arsha!" Her mother finally tried to pull her away from there.

"What? I stated a fact." She was not ready to quit  the game.

"Mamma. I'm leaving." All of a sudden,  Aparna spoke and walked away.  Beautiful voice. He had to notice it. Aparna was attractive in her looks, talks and behavior. He had to appreciate her. His mother had good eyes indeed.

"Appu. Wait. That girl." Lalita ran behind Aparna. 

His mother looked at Arsha  then her mother and left there furiously.  Arsha's mother gave her a look that had many meaning and ran behind his mother. 

They both were left alone. He turned away and left. He had nothing to tell her. As a woman she was no longer interesting. He hooked up with women.  But he never involved with committed women. That was cheating. He never liked or supported it.

If he wanted to talk to her as that child, it was no longer possible. If he knew, he wouldn't have touched her. And she knew who he was.  He had nothing more to comment on her.