Part 4

Vinod opened the door to find Arsha standing there

Vinod opened the door to find Arsha standing there. She was wearing a red dress. Her face was beautifully set and her hair styled. She looked a dashing diva. If this is how she does make up everyday, then on her engagement day she might have dressed as a begger.

"Not giving way." She asked when he didn't  say anything for a long time. He invited her in and closed the door.

"Why did you come?" He asked when she plunged into the sofa. He had walked away that day.

"You invited me. Forgot?" She reminded him. Its not that he forgot.  He  thought she wouldn't come. She would understand when he walked away. 

"I....." He was in a dilemma.  What to tell her? It's indeed his fault that he didn't inform her about his changed plans.

"Why? Changed your mind?" She read his thoughts. 

"Yes." He replied as a matter of fact. She looked at him in indignation.  He knew. It was not easy for anybody to get rejected. It's too difficult for a woman. 

"What happened?" She asked avoiding his eyes. Her face was unpleasant to watch with all the embarrassment written there. 

"I thought you would understand when I ignored you.  Iam sorry I didn't inform you. " He sincerely apologised. 

"Oh! Do you think I'm a pushover? I want a clear reason." She got really angry this time. 

"It's personal. " He wanted to avoided the question of how he regarded her.

"Is it that girl? Aparna?"  She asked  annoyed. She suddenly remembered his reactions that day. He for sure liked her. It's just because of that she was rude that day.

"How does that bother you? It's none of your business." That day she was too much. He hadn't responded that day because he too wanted the matchmaking to break. That doesn't mean he would tolerate her everyday. 

"It wouldn't have been if you haven't barged into my room to touch and kiss me." She too lost her control. 

"You were willing" He too retorted.  Wasn't she who invited him back. 

"I didn't say I wasn't.  But since it happened and we made an appointment,  I  deserve to know why you unilaterally canceled it." She didn't back down. 

"Because I don't like women who cheats." It was fast and candid. She was silent afterwards. 

"I neither knew who you were nor knew you were the bride. Or else..." He explained after sometime. 

"Do you know you are talking principles about hooking up?" She laughed at him. He was dumbstruck for sometime. But there were some limits he kept for himself. He never involved with committed women. He never involved with friends and relatives. And never a girl twice. That worked well for him. He wouldn't change it.

"It's okay. I must leave." She rose up to leave after seeing him mum.

"Arsha. Thank you." He thanked her sincerely. 

"For saving me from a marriage proposal I didn't want." Or else he would had a hard time this time convincing his mother. From a look he read Aparna. She had no interest in this marriage. Either she didn't like him or the idea of marriage. Anyhow for her quarreling with his mother didn't make sense.

"You were ogling her." She accused him. She didn't buy his lies.

"I wasn't. I was just checking her out.  And please. Our issue has no relation with her." He knew how girls dealt with these issues. Jealous girls were even more dangerous. 

"Whatever. You can be with whomever you like.  I don't care anymore." She dismissed his fears.

"Arsha." He couldn't stop telling her.

"What?" She asked turning back.

"You have a fiancee.  You hooking.." She was young. There were many things she didn't comprehend well. Even if his marriage was not successful he had learned from that. That's one reason he wouldn't succumb to his mother's and society's pressure. 

"That's none of your business." She said before slamming the door shut.