Part 6

The dining table had Sivadas Uncle, a middle aged man and Arnav sitting there

The dining table had Sivadas Uncle, a middle aged man and Arnav sitting there. On a closer look the man was not middle aged but someone in his early thirties. Maybe it was his potbelly that made him look old. He was fat and his hairline already started receding. He looked like a new bussiness partner.  He sweated profusely and seemed uncomfortable in the company. He judged this man as not very confident. 

Vinod scanned everyone's expressions. Arsha still had the bruises around her throat. But no one seemed to care. Arnav seemed to have explained things already. Is this a usual thing?

"Hey. Vinod. Nice to meet you." Sivadas uncle greeted him." Yes. This is Praveen. He works in collector office."

"Hi. I'm Vinod. I run S.D advertising company." Vinod introduced himself. So this Praveen is not a business partner but a potential mole in administrative set up. 

"Hi, sweetheart. Why are so shy today? " Praveen asked all of a sudden eyeing  Arsha. 

"Sweetheart?" Vinod was surprised. 

"Oh! You haven't met Praveen. He is Arsha's fiancee." Her father explained proudly. 

Fiancee? He looked like her uncle. Leave the looks. A strong and decisive woman like her and a man who sweat seeing a woman? Even if they overlooked everything what about the disinterest written on her face? And he knew more than anybody that she was not disinterested in men. Why was she marrying him? Vinod looked at Arsha in shock. She had no expressions.

"Come. Sit near Praveen. He especially came to meet you." Her father called her.

Even a small kid could read the disgust in her face. When her father moved to make space, she quietly went and sat there.

Slowly the men dwelled into business and politics. Vinod was passing comments but his attention was focused on the couple before him. Arsha was mum from the beginning. Praveen never looked at her. His handkerchief was already wet. As time went by, Arsha's face had contorted more. For a second he doubted if Praveen was abusing her and checked below the table. They sat at a feet distance. 

Food came. Everyone ate. Arsha just twirled her fork. That's when he ordered juice for all. She looked at him thankfully. She couldn't swallow. He knew. Arnav maybe a fool but he was strong. 

When everything was finished, everyone parted jovialy. Arsha and Praveen parted like perfect strangers. He felt really sorry for her. A young and lovely girl with brimming passion trapped in a marriage of convenience. He was sure this was some part of a business deal. He got a vague idea why she did those things.