ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟘𝟞 - ℝ𝕦𝕕𝕖-𝕂𝕠𝕦𝕙𝕒𝕚-𝕂𝕦𝕟

The room echoed the silence.

The slow ticking of the clock was the only sound that reverberated from the walls. Soundless footsteps approached the subject of interest. Said subject's eyes wandered about aimlessly, taking in the rather trivial information that the sparse room had to offer. Only a simple grip measurement machine was available in the center, and a lab assistant behind the glass that separated the boy from the rest of its machinery.

"Subject E-1, pick up the grip measurer placed on the table."

The boy did as told.

"Subject E-1, record your reading."

And the boy did as told. A strong, inhuman grip clicked on the machine, forcing it to record readings it had never recorded before. The numbers behind the glass wall rose dramatically. Within a few moments, the boy's veins popped out on his arms, and he bit his lips, exerting the last drop of strength he had remaining in him onto his fists.

"Subject E-1, relax."

The boy released the grip, and gazed ahead aimlessly at the glass window. A gaze that could not be defined as something cold. In fact, a sincere gaze that did not hold any malice behind it. The lab assistants noted down the reading that the boy had provided, and they let out an uncontrolled shiver, coming to terms with the fact that a mere 15 year old had so easily crossed the 3-digit threshold. The black-haired teen, who had gone back to meddling with his nails, had beaten his record every single time. And this time, it was by a whopping 0.3 kg.

"He might eclipse the Masterpiece this way....."

"Must reduce his dosage....."

The boy did not pay attention to what was being spoken about behind the screen. He had no interest in what those assistants talked about, after all. As long as he got what he desired, and as long as he is treated the way he is, he did not mind the curiosity growing inside his mind about the true nature of this institution. He would not deny the feeling of longing, and the wish to experience life beyond this cage. But he did not find it important.

The boy walked back whence he came, ignoring the fearful stares he was receiving from the workers. Without a moment's hesitation, he trudged back to his palace, his empty footsteps resonating throughout the bland, white walls.

[ ----- ----- ----- ]

( Takeyama POV )

"Oi."

I groaned lightly, and fluttered my eyes open. I stared up at the bottom of the top bunk above me, and in my peripheral vision, I could see Ryuuen loitering around in the room.

"You were making weird faces in your sleep, Takeyama. You had a bad dream or something?" Ryuuen sneered. "Looks like even a demon like you gets bad dreams every now and then."

"Not exactly a bad dream, but I'll take it....." I muttered under my breath. I lifted myself off the bed. It wasn't exactly comfortable, but considering we're currently in the middle of nowhere, the beds were quite decent. However, the hard frame of the bed reminded me of the contrasting luxury of my own bed back in the White Room, and I sighed longingly. Wherever you go, only your own bed is the most comfortable one. I had come to realize this after an arduous mental journey.

"Oi, Takeyama. What the fuck is Zazen?"

"It's a fancy word for meditation."

"They should just call it meditation then," Ryuuen sighed. "We need to prepare breakfast today, apparently."