Prologue

Coruscant, 19 standard years BBY

The waters of the Thousand Fountains twinkled softly and the moonlight filtered through the high windows to dance on green and blue leaves. It was the perfect setting for meditation. But Talisbeth Enwandung-Esterhazy could not meditate. How could she? Master Kenobi had killed General Grievous. Master Skywalker had gone to see the Chancellor, then had come hurrying back. Master Windu and most of the adult Jedi in the Temple had gone. Half a standard hour earlier, she had felt Master Skywalker leave again. He was so strong in the Force that even one as weak as she could sense him easily.

No, she did not see how anyone could sit calmly and meditate under these conditions. Stifling a sigh, Talisbeth opened one eye and peeked at her best friend, Whie Malreaux. He sat in lotus position on a nearby rock, his hands resting lightly on his knees, his face serene and composed. Whie was strong in the Force, as strong as some of the Masters. She supposed that was reason he was actually floating a few centimeters above the rock. Talisbeth had had enough. She uncrossed her legs and left the peaceful room.

As she made her way down a long corridor, Solis approached her, chasing a small green creature with large, floppy ears.

"I have you now!" The tall elegant droid caught the little one up in his arms. "It is past your bedtime, little master Grogu, and your Aunt Yaddle says you must go to sleep."

The child gurgled and waved his arms. "No," replied Solis firmly, "Mistress Scout is not going to save you."

Talisbeth smiled at her droid's use of her nickname. Well, perhaps he wasn't hers exactly, but he was more hers than anyone else's. She was grateful that Master Skywalker had repaired Solis and Whie's family droid, Fidelis, and that Master Yoda had let them stay in the Temple.

"Let's go find Master Yaddle, Solis," Talisbeth grinned. Then the grin froze on her face. A darkness, heavier than night, descended on her. No, not just on her. On the entire planet.

For a moment, Scout stood rooted to the spot. Then a voice broke her trance.

"Scout! Scout! Tali! Tali!"

The usually unflappable Whie ran down the hall, calling her name frantically.

"Master Whie!" exclaimed Fidelis, hurrying up from the far end of the hall. "Whatever is the matter, young master? You shouting, the younglings crying and a strange heaviness in the air."

Whie stopped beside Talisbeth, lightsaber in hand. "You are perceptive, Fidelis," he gasped. He glanced at Grogu, who had stopped struggling and babbling and now clung to Solis, wide-eyed and silent. "It is the dark side. And it is coming for us."

Coruscant, 7 standard years ABY

Namah Agati stood in what had once been the great Jedi Temple. More recently, it had been the Emperor's palace. Now the fledgling New Republic had to decide what to do with it. Unlike his fellow senators, Namah had no great love or respect for the old Jedi order or the new one, rising under Luke Skywalker. Of course, they didn't know that. Just as he had shrewdly changed sides at just the right time during the war, he now carefully kept his thoughts to himself. Two dozen senators from a variety of species stood around Namah, deep in discussion about the building's future. Several were saying the Temple should be entrusted to Skywalker so that he could train a new generation of Jedi. Namah smiled. If all went according to his plan, Luke and his Jedi would not be needing a Temple. They would not be needing anything. The universe had not seen fit to bless Namah with Force sensitivity, but he had enough cunning, intelligence and daring to compensate quite well. And with both the Sith and the Jedi safely out of the way, his own rise to power would be all but inevitable.

Author's Note: Hello there! Thanks for  giving my story a try. This little prologue helps set up the background for the rest of the story. Whie and Talisbeth are both real characters but Namah is an OC of mine.

Don't worry, our favorite Rebels will make their appearances in the next couple of chapters and be our main characters! Thanks for reading. God bless you!
~Faithann