Chapter 36 - Rogues and Farewells

Nek gazed through the Lion Rampant's viewport at the planet Kyber as he waited for Luke to transmit landing coordinates for his shuttle. Using parts scavenged from Agati's droid ships, Nek, Fionn and the Rogues had made the Rampant operational. The communications system had not fared well and he had only been able to send a brief message to his Natasi assuring her that he was alive and well and on his way.

A soft musical note announced that his computer had received the coordinates. He flicked on the still spotty comm.

"Coordinates received. You have my gratitude. We will be enroute within ten standard minutes. Rampant out."

He sent the coordinates to his shuttle. Making his way quickly to the nearest hangar bay, he was met by Chui'lan and the Rogues.

"With your permission, sir," Chui'lan said, "I would like to remain with the Rampant to ensure that she stays in good working order.

Nek chuckled. "Fionn, I need to find you a wife before you become permanently bonded to this ship. You may stay. And you can keep the Rogues, too."

"Hobbie and I would like to accompany you, just in case there are any droid ships still lurking out there," Wedge countered.

"Perhaps I need a demonstration to remind everyone that I am, in fact, in charge here," Nek replied, entering the hangar and heading for his shuttle.

Hobbie groaned. "Not the whip again, sir."

"I don't think you're taking my warnings seriously, Lieutenant. Maybe I should have you whipped after all." He turned to Wedge. "Captain Antilles, if you can keep your insubordinate subordinate under control, you may accompany me."

"But," he added as he keyed for entry to the shuttle, "I think I'll bring the whip, just in case."

"The Admiral's on his way," Luke informed the little group gathered around him in the Malreaux's parlour.

"And I suppose you want me to volunteer to talk to him about Natasi?" Ezra sat in the middle of his Rebel family, one arm around Sabine and the other around Hera.

"I was thinking a small group should approach him," Luke revised. "Maybe us, Leia and Ahsoka."

"That would be wise," Ahsoka agreed, looking around at the others. Rex sat beside her. Seated near Luke, Mara and Leia completed the group.

"I think it's a good idea, too," Hera offered. "You need to be careful, though. Nek can be a little protective of Natasi."

"A little protective?" Leia laughed. "I'm surprised he didn't make us sign a legally binding contract when he sent her here."

"He trusts us," Ezra returned. "He just took your word for it that we'd keep her safe."

Han poked his head through the door. "Hey, Ezra, you better come move your red-headed stray before the Admiral accidentally flattens her."

"She's not mine! And I'm pretty sure she knows to get out of the way of incoming shuttles."

"Yeah, well, I don't know about that," Han retorted, "but I'm pretty sure that you're responsible for her until Bwua'tu shows up to claim her. You're the one that got her out of the Maw, after all."

"The great Darakaer, come to life out of ancient Irmenu legend," Sabine teased her husband.

"Hey, it's not my fault Natasi thought I was her people's folk hero," Ezra protested. "At least it helped her trust me."

"I think we should all go," suggested Leia, fighting a smile at Ezra's expense. We can wait with her and talk to Nek when he arrives."

The Admiral's shuttle glided to a landing at the base of the Hill. As the ramp lowered into place, Natasi rushed to greet her husband.