Chapter 7- The Nightmare

The lightsabers flashed and crashed together in the Room of the Thousand Fountains. Among the padawans, Whie Malreaux was second to none. He could hold his own against many adult opponents. But not this one. Never this one. Anakin Skywalker had been his hero. He had never even dreamed of besting him.

The lightsabers crashed again, blue on green. Whie panted with effort. The dark side flowed through the creature before him, a mockery of the man who had been Anakin Skywalker. Yet somewhere deep inside, Whie could sense Anakin's light.

The blue blade slashed in front of his face. He tried to parry it, but missed. This is it. I'm going to die. Let me die bravely, worthy of the Jedi order. He had seen this moment in a vision, though he hadn't understood it all. It had come at last.

But the death blow never fell. A pale, white blade deflected the blue one. The sith lord's blade singed Whie's shoulder, leaving him injured, but very much alive. He fell, rolled to his feet and rose.

"Scout!" he shouted. "Get out of here!" I'm trying to protect you!

"I'm not going anywhere without you," she returned stubbornly.

But Master Yaddle! He urged through the Force.

You're standing on the door, she replied.

The blue blade flashed down again to be met by two others. They ducked and parried, slashed and counter-attacked, all to no avail. Suddenly, the Sith lord's blade caught Talisbeth's unprotected back. She crumpled with a sob of pain, lightsaber falling from her limp hands.

With all his might, Whie swung his blade. Darth Vader caught it with ease as a blaster shot echoed off the walls.

"Mistress Scout!" cried Solis. His blaster fire bounced harmlessly off the Sith, scorching the walls and floor. With one hand, Vader force-pushed Whie against a wall; with the other he lifted Solis.

"You're a fine droid," Anakin's voice said. "You just need a tune up." A soft mechanical whirring came from the droid's inner workings. The Sith lord released them both. "Now, Solis, eliminate the boy and the girl. I have work to do."

Solis raised his arm with its embedded weapon and shot Whie. Whie saw his younger self fall as the droid turned and fired on Talisbeth. Don't be afraid, Whie, he wanted to say. But he couldn't.

"Well done. Stand guard here." Vader turned on his heel and hurried away, while Solis touched a few buttons on his arm. Rounding a corner, the Sith found Master Yaddle, her ears drooping and her eyes flashing.

"Do not do this, Anakin!" she pleaded, standing in the door of the Creche. "Do not listen to the lies of the darkness. We find neither life nor love on that path."

"Little fool! I have found power you will never know. I'll never be helpless again!"

Yaddle ignited her lightsaber. "Then I will do what I must."

He laughed as he deflected her blows with a flick of his wrist. "You're not much of a fighter, Creche Master. You should stick to younglings. You could join me – my Master could use someone to train younglings."

Vader swept his blade down, knocking her off balance. "Join us and I'll let you live. Wouldn't you like to be on the winning side?"

Yaddle shoved herself back to her feet and swung her lightsaber to block his. "I care not about winning or losing. That is out of my hands. I know only that I must choose the path of Light – the way of truth and love. The Light will prevail, Anakin Skywalker, even if I do not live to see it."

The Sith lord sneered. "You certainly won't. You will die, here and now."

His left hand shot out, using the force to pin her down to the floor. His right hand raised the lightsaber. A shot rang out from the Creche doorway. Vader blocked it with his lightsaber.