Chapter 29 - Space Battle

"Sir, we can't hold this position much longer," Fionn Chiu'lan approached the Admiral as he stood at his tactical screen.

Nek nodded. "Another direct hit and we will likely lose life support systems. Order evacuations for everyone except bridge officers. Send Grendyl to General Calrissian on the Alderaan."

"What about you, sir?"

"The Rampant will press the battle as long as we have functioning weapons, we will hold the gateway as long as we have a ship, and I will not leave while we have unfinished business." He stroked a small holo of his wife and children, displayed on his personal datapad. Of his 100 ships, only thirty still fought at full capacity. Hundreds of droid ships still hammered his fleet, despite many of them taking damage. By falling back to the gateway, he had prevented any more of Agati's vessels from entering the Kyber system. He fervently hoped and prayed that his men could hold fast for five more minutes.

"Is it hopeless, then, Admiral?" His aide Grendyl joined him, peering over his shoulder at the picture he was holding.

"The Alderaan is coming alongside to pick up the escape pods. You will be safe, I promise." He would have liked to explain the situation fully and truthfully to the loyal woman, but uninvited ears were listening as well.

Grendyl indicated the image on the datapad. "Do you know if they made it, sir?"

"I tracked them to Kyber. They've landed but the fight is likely not going well. My uncle just sent me an update from the spynet on Agati's fleet. They have decoded information on those saucer-shaped vessels. They are carrying technology that interferes with a being's ability to connect with the Force, presumably based on the Ysalamiri."

Agati could hear that much. He must have at least suspected that the Bothan spynet had been watching him. What he did not share was the rest of the encrypted message regarding the situation on Coruscant. Senator Belden and his Coruscanti native aide, Victor Dorvan, had courage, intelligence and virtue. The Galaxy would be in their debt.

Nek consulted his chrono. Three minutes. "Grendyl, it's time for you to take your leave. I hope we shall meet again. May the Force be with you."

Tears welled in her eyes. "Goodbye, Admiral. It's been an honor."

She hurried off and Nek watched her pod leave, not turning away until Lando's ship pulled the pods to safety. One minute.

The bridge bucked as a laser strike hit its mark. Perfect. Nek smiled at his wife's picture. She would love this.

He stepped from the tactical station, still holding the datapad.

"Fall back," he ordered his helmsman. "The fleet is lost."

"Aye, sir," the stunned Mon Calamari pilot began guiding the battered ship into the Kyber system.

"Give me the fleet," he ordered his communications officer. He spoke into the comm. "All ships in this sector, fall back into the gateway."

Nek watched the split display on his datapad with growing satisfaction, then began a silent countdown as Agati's ships moved after his limping fleet into the narrow passageway. 5...4...3...2...

Ten gleaming vessels emerged from the hyperspace lane and streaked across the dark expanse.

"Yes, Senator Agati, the fleet is lost. Yours, not mine." He slid a card into the datapad's reading slot. The screen flickered, displayed a read-out in binary, then went blank. A small puff of smoke curled from its edges as the split-screen slowly returned.

"Sir!" Chui'lan grasped the pad, frantically scanning the bridge for the regulation fire extinguisher.

Nek tugged his pad free from the other Bothan's grasp. "Don't be alarmed, Fionn. Agati slipped a digital tap into our network on one of his S-fighters. Doubtless, he expected me to discover it once it embedded in my personal pad and return it in the typical Bothan way so that he could use it against us. Instead, I let him listen. Now that Hera and the Mandolorians are here, I decided to disable the tap."