Chapter 14- The Music

"Good morning, Mistress," trilled Solis. "Did you sleep well?"

Talisbeth smiled. She had once thought the question merely part of the droid's etiquette programming. Then one morning, after she had admitted to sleeping little three nights in a row, Solis had searched his vast medical database to find a cure for her insomnia.

"Quite well, Solis. And I'd like to get up now." She glanced at her husband. He had his own cure for her occasional sleeplessness.

He turned to her, eyes brimming with love. "Tali, you are growing weaker, in spite of all our best efforts. You have overexerted yourself this week and I would like you to rest today. The children and Solis will help you finish preparing your harvest for storage tomorrow." His eyes gleamed with unshed tears. "You must rest today," he repeated.

The guilt in his voice tore at her heart. She knew that, dearly as he loved their son, he felt that bearing him had been too much for her and he blamed himself.

"Darling, it's not your fault. Don't you know how happy it made me to give you a son?"

Whie crossed to the bed and sat beside her. "I don't deserve you," he whispered brokenly. Cradling her in his arms, he pressed his lips to hers in a passionate kiss.

At length, he laid her back on the bed. "I want you to sleep until breakfast. Solis will bring it to you on a tray. Then you may get up." He rose, then paused. "But no working today."

He pressed his fingers to her forehead and sleep swiftly claimed her.

"Talisbeth! Talisbeth!"

"Whie, is that you?"

"No, my dear child. Don't you know me?"

"Master Jai! I've missed you. What are you doing here?"

"My sweet Scout, I have missed you, too. I just came to tell you that I am very proud of you." Her master's presence faded.

"Thank you, Master," she called after him.

"Tali? Tali!" A concerned voice broke into her vision. "Scout, are you alright?"

Slowly, she opened her eyes. Solis stood at the foot of the bed with a breakfast tray and Whie knelt beside her, clasping her limp hands.

"You were having a vision, weren't you, Dearest?"

"Yes."

"Not bad, I hope."

"Oh, no. It was definitely good. Master Jai came and told me he was proud of me."

"How wonderful! I caught a glimpse of my Master Maks during my evening meditations yesterday. I hope I didn't interrupt your vision when I woke you; only, you were so very cold and pale."

"No, of course not. It faded just before you woke me."

"I'm glad." Whie stroked her cheek. Her nerves came to life and strength coursed through her muscles. "Now, Dear One, it's time for your breakfast."

She grinned at him. "First, you've got to let me up to use the 'fresher."

Whie led his little family up the sloping side of the Meditation Hill. Talisbeth, riding comfortably in Solis's strong durasteel arms, watched him. At least once a week, he brought them here and Talisbeth always left refreshed afterwards. Yet the Force whispered to her that today would be different.

At the top of the Hill, Whie halted. Jai, Tallulah, and Pan sat, forming part of a circle. Whie took Talisbeth from Solis and helped her to sit on the ground beside him. The droids stepped back to watch. The time on the Hill began with mediation. A wondrous peace filled Talisbeth. No visions this time, just the sweet contentment of trusting in the Force.