Chapter 8- I am a Jedi

Leia stood outside the door where the special committee met. She checked her chrono again. One minute and twenty-eight seconds. If the meeting did not end precisely when scheduled, she would enter anyway. She had sent Luke's holovid to all the news stations who would take it and now she was about to confront the committee. Forty-eight seconds. Leia mentally prepared herself. Senator Agati, I demand to be heard. 

Poppy and Handie had testified on the holovid that Tos and his compatriots had set fire to the cantina. They had set the record straight on Ahsoka's intentions as well. It was time for Agati to face a day of reckoning. Her comm beeped softly in her pocket. Annoyed, she switched it on and stepped away from the door.

"Leia, it's me," said Luke's voice. "Can you talk? This is important."

Leia sighed. She supposed she could allow the senators a few extra seconds.

"I'm listening."

"Ezra had a vision. He's kind of figured out that big picture- along with a few small details. Can you meet us as soon as you're finished with the senators? I'll send Han the coordinates."

"All right. I really hate leaving Agati unsupervised, though."

"If Ezra has seen truly, it won't matter. And we need you. You're one of us."

Leia smiled. "I have to go now. I hear the senators. Goodbye, Luke."

"Goodbye, Leia."

Resolutely, Leia keyed the passcode and the doors to the chamber slid open.

"Senator Agati, I demand to be heard. My fellow senators, our beloved Jedi have once again been the victims of baseless slander. I have testimony from reliable witnesses," she waved the disk, "and evidence pointing to a deliberate attempt to frame the Jedi."

"My dear Princess," crooned the Arkanian, "if you are referring to the holovid plastered all over the news channels, we have seen it. Sadly, the Jedi have so influenced the Clones' minds that we can no longer trust them. These two confused fellows have no idea what happened. They are merely saying what the Jedi whisper in their ears."

"Yes," chimed in a senator from Malastare, "They can't even seem to tell the difference between plumbing and droid parts anymore."

"I have prepared a statement," Namah Agati explained condescendingly, "assuring the public that we are taking every possible action to rescue and rehabilitate the Clones. In addition, we are taking swift steps to see that this misinformation is removed from circulation as quickly as possible."

"Misinformation?" Leia fumed. "You can't simply label inconvenient truth 'misinformation'. This is not the Empire, Senator Agati."

Leia's friend, Senator Belden, spoke up. "Head Senator, in the interest of fairness and justice, I request that we interview these Clones. And the Jedi as well. The Senate has heard from their accusers. They have the right to defend themselves against the charges."

A Devaronian interrupted, shaking his horns, "The Jedi can influence the mind. We will not get the truth from them."

"Sadly, you speak truly, Senator Ahkmerna. We cannot trust the Jedi, even if they would agree to come. And as for the Clones, as I already said, we are searching for them as we speak."

"You think you're so clever," Leia's voice was ice. "It just so happens that I know where the Clones are and they will gladly come testify, if you will hear them. What do you say to that, Agati?"

"Ah, no 'senator', this time? No matter. I would say this knowledge would seem to implicate you in the plots of the Jedi. We know your dear brother is a Jedi. Perhaps you are, too?"