Chapter 33 - A Fighting Chance

The S-fighter glided under the transport and disappeared. Nek waited seven seconds, then used the controls he had rigged to accelerate the fighter to lightspeed. It burrowed through the heart of the transport, exploding just as it reached the top. The mobile droid factory burst into a satisfying conflagration, disintegrating from the inside out.

Nek's view of the burning ship was cut off by a squadron of S-fighters making for the Lion Rampant. Two Rogue Squadron pilots swung out in a wide loop to follow them and two of the droids disappeared in a flash of light. The Rogues were badly outnumbered and no other fighters could come to their aid.

Detaching from the Rampant, Nek floated half a klick before accelerating into the lead S-fighter's path. Two bursts of laser fire reduced it to scrap and three of its squadron mates soon joined it. The Rogues opened fire again, leaving only five.

Nek rolled in a loop, locking his targeting computer on another S-fighter. A flash of laser fire from the Warrior and the X-wings further reduced the droids to two. Nek dropped his Skean to follow them and flew into a blinding light.

The S-fighters had found their target.

Nek keyed on his comm as the darkened Rampant began a slow roll. "Chui'lan, evacuate all personnel. The Rampant may be lost, but she will stay make her final stand."

"Yes, sir. Sir, with your permission, I would like to remain aboard."

"As you wish, Fionn." He paused, adding, "For duty, honor and the right."

"For duty, honor and the right," Fionn replied.

Nek flipped the switch to power up his tractor beam. The beam caught his flagship, halting its precarious roll. Nek typed a command to lock the tractor beam, then watched as his scanners reported escape pods being picked up by his other ships.

His fleet now stood a fighting chance of overcoming Agati's rear guard. To let any of the droid ships slip through the barrier now was unthinkable. As long as his tractor beam held, the Rampant's dead bulk would effectively continue to plug the hole. As long as his tractor beam held.

"Don't worry, sir, we'll keep the droids off you," Wedge Antilles's voice came through his comm. Nek looked up. His proximity alarm bleated a warning as a swarm of droid fighters filled his viewport.

Flashes filled the dark void of space as the Mandalorians flitted among Agati's ships. Hera watched the droid ships explode. She would have taken a grim satisfaction in their demise if hundreds more had not been pouring towards the little planet below.

"This is it!" Hera called. "You might want to strap in now."

Without further explanation, Hera pointed the Ghost straight at Kyber and started to corkscrew through the droids. Saba and Alexsandr cleared a path for her mad dash to the planet. Behind her, the Mandalorian fighters fanned out and began picking off droids in the flanks of Agati's fleet as they plunged into the atmosphere. Leaving the rear-guard action in their capable hands, the Manda'lore joined the Ghost, flying on its starboard while Zeb took the port side.

Through the mass of droid ships, Hera's scanners picked up four ships transmitting as friendlies, along with multiple life forms. Hera's heart picked up speed, matching her ship. Somewhere down there, her son was fighting to save the Galaxy, just as his father had before him.

"Alexi!" she shouted towards the forward gun turret, not bothering with the comm. "I need a clear path NOW!"

"As you wish," he replied through the comm. Laser fire lit up the thin upper atmosphere. "Your word is my command, my Lady" he added more softly.

Forcing herself to focus on weaving through laser fire and droid ships, Hera bit down on her lower lip as her lekku tensed. Beyond nicknaming him "Alexi" -simply because Twi'leks generally preferred shorter names- she had done nothing to encourage Alexsandr's infatuation. She certainly did not return his affection. He was simply her occasional co-pilot and gunner, and performed both duties skillfully.

She hoped Kanan would understand. She had not forgotten him. She never would.

A group of droid ships broke off their attack run on the Jedi and turned to fire on the Ghost. Twin bursts from the forward cannon vaporized them, a demonstration of Alexsandr's skill.

Hera tightened up her corkscrew and dipped the Ghost's nose. The planet rushed up and droid ships rushed by in a dizzying swirl. Some were disintegrated; others missed. A few scored hits. The Ghost's shields held.

Breaking through the ranks of droids, Hera spotted the brave band clustered on the painted Hill. A bright light rose from the highest point, refracting into a rainbow. Standing in the glow of the rainbow were several more figures.

A soft squeal escaped Hera's lips and she clapped her hands together, momentarily forgetting the steering yoke. Chopper beeped a warning and Hera quickly pulled her vessel back on course. Her gaze remained riveted on the refracting light.

Kanan!