Chapter 28 - The Force and Flying Saucers

The Jedi returned to the Hill and took up their positions, now with the addition of Corran.

"You know," Luke peered up at the sky. "I wonder why Agati doesn't just blow this whole planet and take the kyber. Surely, he has the resources."

"Perhaps he has guessed the significance of the Hill," Ezra mused. "I have never known a place so strong in the Force."

Mara gestured upward. "Look!"

Three ships, round and flat like saucers, glided silently toward the Jedi. They had seen the ships in the Bothans' scans, but the spies had been unable to identify anything but a hyperdrive, a nav computer and an engine. Everything else was a mystery.

The ships slowed as they approached. A soft white glow bloomed from the saucers. Ezra gasped as a wrenching pain engulfed him. Around him the other Jedi fell to their knees. Luke held Mara close and Whie tried to shield Talisbeth from a danger they did not comprehend. Ahsoka curled protectively around her unborn baby, her hands pressed over her montrals in a feeble attempt to block the painful vibrations.

"Rex!" she managed to moan into her comm.

The Clone captain was already on his way as another massive contingent of droids wafted down from their accompanying transports, armed with synthetic lightsabers. He battled his way through the droids as they launched their attack with blade and blaster.

Ezra threw out his hand and the first line of droids wobbled. Luke leaped towards his attackers and found his jump carried him only about a meter. Reaching out, Dev Force-tossed a droid, making it skid backwards a few centimeters.

"It's a Force-dampening field of some kind," Whie ground out. He ignited his lightsaber and swung it at the nearest droids. Two fell; a third parried his blow.

All the Jedi were on their feet now, fighting hand to hand in spite of the crushing weight bearing down on them. Rex reached Ahsoka's side as she struggled to stay on her feet. He secured a noise-canceling device over her montrals to protect her sensitive hearing. She kissed his cheek in thanks and cut down another droid.

"Good work, Little U'n! No clankers are going to beat us."

The sound of blaster fire erupted from the Falcon's gun turrets, leading their ships in a desperate attack on the saucers. Han and Chewie stitched line after line of laser fire across their hulls but their shields held.

"What are those flying saucers made of?" Han complained into his comm.

"Bring one down and we'll find out," Leia replied.

A satisfying explosion lit the sky as Han finally scored a hit. "Wahoo!" he cheered as the saucer began to list heavily, bleeding smoke and flames.

With the pressure eased slightly, the Jedi slowly pressed their enemies down the hill, centimeter by centimeter.

"Dev, look out!" Luke dove to his young friend's side as a droid slipped up behind him. Its blade slashed down into Dev's side before Luke sliced it in two.

"Thanks, Master." The two fought side by side, slicing up more droids. The last line of droids was proving stubborn.

Another round of blaster fire split the air. The Jedi had backed the droids into their ships, where the Poppy and the other Clones were making quick work of them. With two shots from his favorite blasters, Rex dispatched the last of the droids.

"That's for all my brothers," he declared with a firm nod.

Breathing heavily, the Jedi looked at one another. More droids would attack soon. Rex said what they were all thinking.

"We can't hold off many more attacks like that. Not with those Force-dampening flying saucers up there. We need a plan."

"Master Luke," Kyp ventured, "do you have any wisdom from Yoda or the other old Masters for our situation?"

Overhead, the sky darkened as more saucer ships appeared, along with two droid cruisers.

"I'm afraid not, Kyp. Anyone else?"

Dev leaned against the side of the Hill while Alora and Ezra prepared to bandage his wound.

"Dev, you're getting Force paint on your wound!" Alora frowned. "Will that hurt him, Ezra?"

Ezra leaned closer to study Dev's gashed side. "I would say not, Alora."

Dev touched his wound. Where the paint had come in contact with his skin, the gash was closing without even leaving a scar.

"Kyber has not lost its connection to the Force," Dev looked up at the other Jedi. "I don't know what Master Yoda would say, but I think we need to reach a little deeper."