Chapter 24 - Hyperspace

On board the Ghost, Hera watched the endless hyperspace lane streak by her viewport. She hoped Nek Bwua'tu was right, that he had indeed found a shortcut. The Ghost, the Honour Guard and the Dark Saber had already been in hyperspace for more than a full standard day. The longest day of Hera's life.

Ask Hera to come. The portal will open again.

It was almost too good to be true. Had anyone but her Ezra made such a claim she would have dismissed it outright. She trusted Ezra implicitly, however. That she believed his story was evidenced by the rapid pounding of her heart that would not be stilled.

"Chop, pull up the navigational readouts the Grand Admiral sent," she ordered the droid for the twentieth time since they had entered the lane.

The little astromech beeped and booped cheekily.

"You know very well which Grand Admiral. I certainly didn't get any star maps from Thrawn."

Chopper beeped again.

"Yes, I'm aware that they haven't changed in the last hour. I just want to see how much farther."

Chopper tweetled a chuckle and displayed the map. Hera sighed. They were still over a day's flight from the mysterious Kyber system, even with the Admiral's shortcut.

"Couldn't that Bothan have found a shorter shortcut?" she grumbled. Closing her eyes, she leaned back in her chair. They would arrive after Agati, of that much she was almost certain. She refused to allow her mind to dwell on what she might find when the Ghost arrived. Her Ezra was on Kyber, with Sabine by his side. Namah Agati didn't stand a chance.

Namah checked the read-outs on his nav computers. Everything was falling into place perfectly. Very soon, he would drop out of hyperspace and use the same scanner that had revealed Kyber's existence to ensure that his droid scouts had been correct in their reports. Glowing red in protest, the kyber-driven scanner sat a meter to his right, waiting to be pressed into service again. Doubtless, the Jedi were waiting as well, but they would be standing alone.

Most of the old Alliance members were out chasing his ships in other parts of the Galaxy, attempting to protect young Force-sensitives. The annoyingly competent Bothan Grand Admiral had refused to aid him, as Namah had assumed he would. After all, his eldest cub was a Force-user. However, Nek Bwua'tu was no longer a problem, if his plan was going according to schedule. A ding sounded on his chair's arm console.

"Answer," he commanded.

His droid commander was checking in, no doubt to report success somewhat belatedly.

"I2-A4, report," he ordered the holographic image of the tall vaguely humanoid commando droid.

"We have failed, my lord."

For a moment, Namah was speechless. Anger flared inside him at his own miscalculation. A holovid replaced the droid, showing Bwua'tu's estate in the purple Ruwelyn hills. I2-A4's voice demanded that Yantahar Bwua'tu be turned over for rehabilitation. The Admiral's only answer was a blaster bolt that I2-A4's shields barely deflected. Namah watched the ensuing battle with narrowed eyes and tightly pursed lips. The Bothans and their supporters were vastly outnumbered, yet shot after shot found its mark, reducing his droid ranks. As his father battled with both blaster and blade, Yantahar entered the room. He stretched out his hand and the image shook violently before disappearing.

"The young Bothan appears to have immobilized us with a Force-blast," I2-A4 replaced the holo-vid. "My recorder malfunctioned. When my back-up power-cells activated, I gathered more commandos and pursued the Bwua'tus but they have successfully eluded us. I calculate that they are en-route to Kyber, less than twelve standard hours behind you."

Namah immediately switched on his scanners, training all the power at his command on the lane behind him.

Nothing.

He added the scanners of his other ships. Still nothing.

"Are you certain the Bothan is on his way to Kyber?" Namah demanded of his droid.

"Not completely, sir. I am only 99. 993 percent sure."

Was it possible? Bwua'tu had once famously defeated the brilliant Grand Admiral Thrawn. Was he truly as prescient as his supporters liked to claim?

Slowly, Namah reconfigured the scanners. The hyperspace lane ahead was empty. He pushed the scanner further. Just beyond the frayed edges of the lane's end, he detected a slight blip.

Quivering in silent fury, he allowed his anger and frustration to roll over him. The emotions passed and his resolve hardened. The plan had simply suffered a setback. He was not defeated.

He could never be defeated.