Chapter 4- It's Happened Before

Hovering above the Bridgers' comm system, a holoimage of Leia held a datapad. "This is all I could find. It's not much, but I think it's rather telling. Before he defected to the Alliance, he designed droids for the Empire. He has no real friends or any family that I can find. He seems to prefer droids, according to most people who are acquainted with him. Both his house and office are staffed only with droids. His Imperial record is almost as empty as his Alliance and New Republic records, with one notable exception. It seems he quarreled with an Inquisitor who used his probe droids. He got a lightsaber scar on his arm for his trouble and is quoted as saying he'd 'had enough of their superior attitudes'."

"That's kind of suspicious," Sabine commented, "but I'm not sure it's proof of conspiracy."

Ezra slipped his arm around her middle. "You're right again, Coco Bean. And, like Rex said, we'll get our evidence by figuring out his next move and getting there before he does." He rubbed her rounded stomach. "Only not you, Love."

"No, I think I'm out of commission for a while!" she agreed. "But we still have to figure out his next move."

"My guess is that he'll eliminate his witnesses before anyone sees through their story or offers them more money." Leia offered.

"And," Mara added, "he'll make it look like Jedi work so we'll get the blame."

Luke nodded. "Looks like we're heading back to Mersia." He turned to the holographic Leia. "Thanks, Sis. We'll do our best at this end. Keep up the good work."

"I'll be back in touch as soon as I have any news. Bye for now." Leia blew her twin brother a kiss and ended the transmission.

"Now all we have to do is decide who's going, how they're getting there, how they're going to foil Agati ..." Ezra broke off. "This meeting is not nearly as close to finished as I thought."

"Master Luke," Dev clasped his slim brown hands tightly in front of him. "I would like to try to make amends for my lack of self-control. Please allow me to go."

For a moment, Luke did not reply. He closed his eyes briefly in meditation. "You may go, Dev, but not alone."

"Master Luke," Alora rose from her spot in the circle. "May I go, too? We could disguise ourselves as Mersians. No one would even recognize us. What do you think?"

"I think it is a good plan, if your parents agree. But I think Mara and I should go with you. We'll take our ship, land somewhere out of sight and wait for you." Luke looked at Rex and Ahsoka. "Is it all right with you?"

Ahsoka laid a hand on Rex's arm and the two shared a look. Rex smiled at his daughter. "Well Girlie, your mum was running around the Galaxy helping people when she was your age. It's kind of hard to realize how grown up you are, but we knew this day would come. You can go."

Alora hugged him. "Thanks, Dada. I'll be careful. I won't do anything you wouldn't do."

"That's not good- how about you don't do anything I wouldn't let you do?"

"Oh, Dada!"

"Lady Bridger," asked Dev, "could you help us with our disguises?"

"Of course, Dev! But you don't need to call me Lady- Sabine is fine." Ezra helped her up and she walked to a cabinet and opened a door. From within, she pulled cans of skin paint and hair dye. Ezra brought two chairs for Dev and Alora.

An hour later, two Mersians sat in their places. "Thanks, Sabine," Alora beamed, "and you, too, Ezra."

"You're welcome," Sabine smiled. She handed Alora three jars of paint. "You might need a touch up, so take these with you."

After saying goodbye, the Skywalkers, their three apprentices, and Alora left in the Jade Shadow. Violet-Meadows stood watching them go.

"Gogu gone," sighed the toddler. She looked up, resignation on her little face. "Happens. Life." She spread her arms wide in a shrug.

Ezra scooped her up. "You're right, Honey. Goodbyes are a part of life. But Grogu will always be your friend and he'll come back whenever he can. Right now, why don't you go play with Rorric, Wani and Persis?"

He put her down and she ran off to play with the Torrents. Jacen Dume, Pypey, and the Solo twins ran after them. Ahsoka and Sabine went back inside.

"I'll watch the kids for a bit, if you have patients to attend to," Rex offered as the flock of younglings scampered up a nearby hill.

"Thanks, Rex. There is a farm I need to visit. Comm me if you hear from the Skywalkers."

Ezra's deep bond with animals and growing ability to Force-heal had made him a sought-after animal healer. He spent the rest of the morning examining female Loth-sheep who had given birth the previous evening. The Loth-lambs were already frisking about on the grass and Ezra grinned in spite of his dark forebodings. Their pure joy at being alive lightened his heart. If only everyone could feel this simple joy!

"Hi, Ezra!" Yosh Trawler, the flock's owner, strode up.

"Hey, Yosh," Ezra stood, "How are you? Your flock's doing great, by the way."

"Oh, me? I'm, I'm fine. It's you and your family I'm worried about." The farmer glanced around, scuffing the toe of his boot on the grass.

"You mean the new baby? Sabine's fine-"

"No, no," Yosh cut him off. "Surely you've heard the talk. And I know you're wondering why you haven't had many calls in the past few weeks."

Ezra's comm beeped. "Hold on, Yosh."

He thumbed it on. "Bridger here."

"Um, yeah," a nervous voice answered. "It's Borr Dackitts. You were going to check on the foal in the morning? You know?"

Ezra started to reply, but Dackitts hurried on. "Well, she's fine and the Loth-mare's fine, too, so don't bother coming."

"It's no trouble," Ezra began.

"I said, don't bother coming," his caller replied, abruptly ending the transmission.

"Hmm. Interesting."

"Yeah, more and more people are starting to act like that. Of course, you still have lots of friends here. And I don't believe a word of it."

"A word of what?"

"A word of what folks are saying. In town and on the holonews. About the Jedi."

"Oh, I see," Ezra patted a passing lamb, checking it through the Force. "I appreciate your trust."

"I know you wouldn't hurt innocent people. Don't think the other Jedi would either. But some folk believe anything they hear on the holonews."

Ezra nodded. "I'm afraid you're right. After all, it's happened before."

In his apartment at 500 Republica, Namah Agati watched a transmission from one of his spy droids. The Jedi had taken the bait. His hired Mersians and their friends would continue to play their parts, content with his generous pay and his promise to protect them from the Jedi. Everything was going precisely as he had planned. Who needs the Force?

Author's Note: I hope you are enjoying the story. I've done a little editing and split a few chapters so that are not so long. Thanks for reading. God bless you!