Chapter 32 - The Heart of Kyber

Together with their younglings, the Jedi reached out to the kyber. The Force energy within them combined and stretched out. Every Force sensitive individual was drawn into the meld. Their energy brushed the power of Kyber, almost connecting. The assembled Jedi reached out again. Ahsoka's unborn baby girl stirred within her, stretching out in the Force.

"We did it!" gasped Kyp as a warmth and light flooded their meld. They had connected with Kyber's strength. The Force energy began to flow up through them.

"We're not through yet," Ezra cautioned. "We have to keep drawing on Kyber's Force energy."

"You've got it, 'Soka," Rex squeezed his meditating wife. "Keep up the good work."

Kneeling next to Ezra and Sabine, Natasi moaned softly, "No, no. I don't want this."

The flowing energy had found her a fitting conduit and poured into her, both frightening and soothing her.

"You're all right, Dearest. The Light won't hurt you." Yantahar wrapped his arms around his mother.

Ezra put his hand on her shoulder and she managed to give him a tremulous smile, submitting herself to the Will of the Force. Ezra knew that the flowing Force energy would heal her physical wounds, but her mental and emotional healing was only beginning. She had taken the first step on a long journey to wholeness.

The Force energy surged upwards, gathering at the planet's surface and pooled in the Jedi. They pushed it up and out. The energy did not move.

"Something's wrong," whispered Dev. He slipped a protective arm around Alora as the droids closed on the Hill. Agati's ships filled the sky from one horizon to the other.

"This is a tremendous amount of energy. We need to work together to focus it," Luke instructed.

Falling deeper into their meld, the Jedi wrapped the energy around themselves and shoved it towards Agati's fleet. The energy still did not move.

"It's trapped," surmised Mara.

"We're not going to move it that way," Corran agreed, "We brought it to the surface, but something else is needed to set it free."

"Wait a minute!" Sabine's eyes lit up. "Remember what Solis said about their krystals? Their kybers can connect to the big kyber at the heart of the planet."

Whie sprang to his feet and drew his lightsaber. "I see clearly now. I am Kyber's Guardian and it is for me to set the power free."

Whie ran toward the highest point of the Hill as the next line of droids closed to in-atmosphere firing range. Their laser bolts filled the sky and covered the shield with crackling light.

"The shield is holding," Fidelis assured everyone through the din of laser fire.

Reaching the crest of the Hill, Whie ignited his lightsaber and plunged it into the center of the painting, piercing the Loth-wolf's painted chest. Light gushed up through his body. Silently, he dropped to his knees, still clutching the hilt of his lightsaber.

Overhead another wave of droids joined the attack, adding small but deadly proton torpedoes to the barrage of laser fire. One well-aimed torpedo struck close to the droids. The shield wavered.

"That shield can't take much more," Han shouted to be heard. "You Jedi better do your thing quick!"

In response, Luke and Leia lifted their hands, followed by the rest of the Jedi. The energy flowing through Whie pulsed with unfocused power, bending him lower.

"It is too great," he murmured. "I'm sorry, my Love."

At his words, Talisbeth fell softly on the painted grass, unable to walk or move. The light around Whie grew, forming a circle. Luke, Ezra and Ahsoka caught hold of it but could not keep it in their grasp.

Talisbeth lay on the grass watching her husband. "If only I could go to him," she whispered.

"Walk to him, you can and you must," a voice spoke at her side.

"Master Yoda!"

"For you, the time to walk has come."

A dozen questions formed on her lips but she swallowed them all. Instead, she rose and stood. The solid ground felt strange beneath her feet and for a moment, she feared that she had forgotten how to walk correctly. She eased one foot forward and then the other.

One step. Two steps. Three steps. Then she was running to Whie's side.

When she reached him, she ignited her own lightsaber and plunged it into the ground so that it crossed Whie's. The pulsing light spread up and out, flowing over the gathered Jedi, in focused powerful waves. It rushed through Talisbeth until she was almost overcome. She was dimly aware of a cheer from her friends and children and the arms of her beloved husband closing around her. Then she knew no more.

Ezra spread his arms and laughed in delight as the beautiful light beams danced around him. His merriment was interrupted by the flickering of the embattled shields. Turning his attention to their situation, he saw Whie still kneeling by the crossed sabers, clutching his wife's lifeless form to his chest. By his side stood a familiar figure.

"Well done, Whie Malreaux," Master Yoda gently poked his former student in the side. "Called up the kyber's energy you have and opened a portal. Join you, we will."

From the center of the light, more figures appeared. Kanan Jarrus, Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Mace Windu, Yaddle, Shak Ti and Kit Fisto stepped onto the Hill. The Old Jedi had come to join the New.

"Master," Ahsoka waved, "I'm so glad you're here!"

"Good to see you, too, Snips. Rex, I have a few questions for you about my Padawan." Anakin looked meaningfully at Alora, the little Torrents and Ahsoka's rounded middle.

"Is that our grandfather?" Ben Solo spoke in an awed whisper.

"I sure am!"

A third wave of ships began pouring commandos and enhanced laser fire onto the Hill.

"I hate to interrupt this family reunion," Obi-Wan spoke up, "but these Jedi have a job to do."

Yoda addressed the New Order Jedi. "Defend the Heart of the Galaxy, you must. Support you, we will."

"Master Yoda," Whie's voice was a strangled moan, "can you heal Talisbeth? I can't lose her!"

"Entrust her to the will of the Creator, you must. Time it is for you to stand and fight."

Wordlessly, Whie kissed his wife and laid her on the ground in the shelter of a nearby tree. As he stood, the Hill shook. The shields crackled and came down.