Chapter 18: Trick Question...

The broken moon shines brightly to the sound of Weiss Schnee singing.

She stands alone on a large, empty stage, singing a wordless aria, her arms outstretched. She is perfectly positioned below the center of the painted emblem of Atlas that dominates the stage.

The song changes to emphatic lyrics.

"I'm not your pet, not another thing you own.
I was not born guilty of your crimes.
Your riches and your influence can't hold me anymore.
I won't be possessed,
burdened by your royal test.
I will not surrender.
This life is mine."

Weiss concludes her song and bows while the audience applauds. She looks up to the balcony above stage left where her father and brother are watching. Jacques Schnee remains seated, not applauding, while Whitley Schnee is standing giving a slower paced, sarcastic clap. Weiss looks back at the audience, all clapping still in their seats. She turns and walks backstage, her feigned smile replaced with a frown.

|>—>—>—><—<—<—<|

A waiter carrying martini glasses on a tray opens up a door and enters the ballroom where people mill about to soft piano notes. He holds the tray next to a young man, who takes a glass before walking off. A blonde woman in a dark green halter dress stops to look at the waiter before moving on. Background conversation is audible.

Second Waiter: Need anything else?

Blonde Woman: No.

The blonde walks up to a man.

Background Man: Hey. Nice dress.

Blonde Woman: What, this old thing?

Background Man: Heh. Didn't you enjoy the performance?

Blonde Woman: Yes, she has a lovely voice.

The camera pans the room, showing a number of dressed up people as the waiter moves across the room. On the far opposite end of the room is a display area with three large paintings and two abstract statues. To one side Jacques is conversing with a man in glasses and a gray-haired woman in a green dress. They are laughing. Weiss is behind her father, looking at the floor with her hands held primly behind her back. Whitley stands similar further behind their father, only his gaze is directly on him.

Jacques: That's precisely my point. We offer Faunus the exact same wages given to the rest of our mining staff. Their argument's completely invalid right out of the gate.

Businessman: Well, I think the bigger issue here...

Weiss: (to herself) Ugh.

Businessman: ...is our society as a whole.

Jacques: (scoffing) Why, you mean Atlas?

As they converse, Weiss looks over to the largest painting on the end of the ballroom, depicting Beacon Academy with its Cross Continental Transmit tower still standing.

Businessman: Atlas, Mantle... You can't deny the economic disparity between the two.

Businesswoman: I mean, what exactly are you suggesting?

Weiss starts to step away, only to have her forearm grabbed by her father, who doesn't even turn around. Weiss halts, startled.