Chapter 21: The Torments of the Past

Tell me what you all think of the story so far.

|>—>—>—><—<—<—<|

After coming upon a splitting path, the group splits with the majority going with Ruby and Pyrrha at the behest of Ren.

A cracked signed bearing the name Kuroyuri rests against ruins. An upwards pan and several cuts show the dilapidated village. Ruby Rose and Pyrrha Nikos walk down the road, followed by Gwen, and Shae. They pause and look unhappily around.

Pyrrha: Oh no...

Ruby: Come on.

They continue forward. Ruby didn't spare the destroyed town another glance as she beckoned her comrades forward.

Ruby: We don't have to stay here long. For Ren's sake we should just go.

Shae: I have to agree, however, I think he's looking for something.

The others turned around to see Shae crouched over a large hoof print in the dirt. Gwen squints before recognizing it immediately.

Gwen: A Nuckelavee? Even a hundred trained soldiers would struggle to take out just one of these...

Ruby: Maybe before, but we've seen the mechs the White Fang have now.

Gwen, realizing they misunderstood her slip up, plays along.

Gwen: They would need at least two Striker Titans to make it a fair fight.

Pyrrha: How did you recognize the Nuckelavee tracks at just a glance, Gwen?

Gwen: Just...years of prior research conveniently coming to use...

|>—>—>—><—<—<—<|

Livid. That was the only emotion present on Gryphon's face. His scroll was practically incinerated by the nightmare Arc energy, Riven has gone silent which keeps him from summoning his ship, and...

Eris: Do you feel alone? Abandoned? As if you're stumbling in the dark? Good.

He had equipped armor to mask his facial expression, but his body made his feelings clear.

Gryphon's fist began to smoke as he clutched it in anger, solar energy threatening to spill out

Gryphon: I never abandoned you.

Eris: You could have entered the Hellmouth as well, you could have protected them. Eriana, Toland, Vell, Omar, Sai.

Gryphon marched through the forest in the direction of a town he had seen from above. The heat rising from his body singed the grass and bushes he brushed against.

Eris: Perhaps you just don't care? Maybe you just see it as an opportunity for new weaponry.

In a flash of rage, a sunspot erupted where Gryphon stood as he whipped around to face the nightmare.