Chapter 28: A Hammer in a Room Full of Nails

I was kinda surprised at the overwhelming Yes's for the new Guardian, but I won't complain. That just means I get to complicate the plot for myself even more! Mwahahahaha!

|>—>—>Cinder POV<—<—<|

Cinder's heart froze at the Guardian walked into the room. Her skin crawled as if every fear she ever had just walked into the room.

He eyes shot all over the room, both desperate to avoid eye contact and in search of an exit. No. Instead of running, she has two bodies to take his attention while she gets what she came here for.

Her eyes shot to Hazel who probably realized what her plan was as he already charging Gryphon.

With that perfect opening, she sprinted for the elevator shaft and jumped in.

|>—>—>—><—<—<—<|

Gryphon watched the large man rush him as he saw Cinder jump into the hole in the floor from the corner of his eye.

With a sigh, he switched to Code of the Devastator and summoned a single giant sunbreaker hammer. Hazel caught the head of the hammer and tried to push against it with no luck.

Gryphon: Really? You didn't think that through.

The head of the hammer burned bright before exploding with force, sending Hazel rolling back. Gryphon's nightmare hammer disappeared as he began to walk forward, rolling his shoulders.

Gryphon: Man, I've been in search of a durable punching bag. I've been meaning to try these new Nightmare Subclasses.

Hazel: A...A question...before we continue.

Gryphon: Oh?

Hazel: Why fight for these people? Why insert yourself in this war why you have the means to leave and return to your home?

Taking the question seriously, Gryphon puts a hand on his chin and thinks for a moment before speaking with his eyes still closed.

Gryphon: Where I come from, humanity's on the brink of extinction every other day. I've seen people fight and die for their beliefs longer than everyone in this room has been alive combined. I know the guilt of failing to protect an innocent family because I was too slow. I know what it means to fail to protect a friend. I understand the lives of the many versus the lives of the few. I'll always have theirs ghosts watching me. Judging me until it's my time.

Gryphon's expression was one of quiet resolution, the fire in his eyes burning brightly.

Gryphon: I don't leave commitments unfinished because I had friends who never got to finish theirs.

Gryphon's body surged with Nightmare Essence. The conversation was over.

Hazel got to his feet and pulled fire, ice, and electric dust crystals from his pockets before jabbing them into his sides. His fists caught on fire and punched a fireball at Gryphon.

Instead of the usual explosion of power that came from Gryphon as he used the Light, everything became eerily silent with the exception of a, shrill, menacing, ringing sound as a crimson sword and shield manifested in his hands as he swatted the projectile out of the air.