Chapter 19: Constriction, Confusion, Communion

Weiss Schnee sits on her bed in her room with her head bowed and her hands folded in her lap. Jacques Schnee paces in front of her.

Jacques: Unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable.

Jacques suddenly stops, then turns and points at her.

Jacques: Do you have any idea what your stunt cost us?

Weiss: I—

Jacques: (cutting her off) And don't think I'm just talking about Lien here! Our reputation! Our... our...

Jacques sighs angrily and holds his head, unable to come up with the words to finish expressing the gravity of her mistake. Weiss waits for a moment before speaking.

Weiss: I want to leave.

Jacques: I beg your pardon?

Weiss: I said I want to leave. I don't want to stay here anymore. I don't want to stay in Atlas anymore!

Jacques: Young lady, I don't give a damn about what you want! This isn't about you. This is about the Schnee family name and your apparent insistence on dragging it through the mud!

Weiss: (Stands up from the bed) I have done nothing but fight to uphold the honor of my family name, a name that you married into!

Jacques slaps Weiss hard on her left cheek, sending her head to the side as she gasps in reaction. She puts her hand on her cheek and turns to face her father, looking at him a little incredulously as she lowers her hand. He looks right back at her, unrepentant. When he begins speaking again, his voice suddenly sounds calm yet intimidating.

Jacques: This behavior of yours is incredibly disappointing. You couldn't possibly understand the lengths I've gone to in order to keep this family where it is. You think running off like your sister is going to make the Schnee name stronger? You're wrong. Siding with her only divides us.

Weiss: I'm not siding with anyone. I'm doing what I feel is right, and that does not include wasting my time up here...

Jacques walks away, rolling his eyes as his daughter finishes her rant.

Weiss: ...with these clueless people in Atlas. The Schnee family legacy isn't yours to leave. It's mine, and I'll do it as a Huntress.

Jacques stops and slowly turns to face her again. As he speaks, he moves to stand in front of his daughter, peering down upon her.

Jacques: No... you won't. You're not leaving Atlas. You're not to leave the manor grounds unless I specifically allow it. You are going to remain here, out of sight and out of trouble, until you and I come to an agreement on your future.

Weiss: What?!

Jacques: Your presupposition that you can simply have whatever it is you want is a clear sign of our failure as parents. But from now on, I'll be giving you the full attention you require, starting by keeping you where I can see you.

With that, Jacques turns once more and walks away.

Weiss: You can't just keep me from leaving!

Again, he stops and turns to look at her.

Jacques: I can, and the staff here will make sure of it.

Weiss: So now I'm just your prisoner?!

Jacques: You are my daughter. You're a child, and children are grounded when they misbehave.

He walks away, and this time, he continues walking even while his daughter speaks.

Weiss: This is only going to make things worse, Father. People will ask questions! They'll want to know why the heiress to the Schnee Dust Company is suddenly nowhere to be found!