Chapter 13: New Development

Yuki's POV
It still seems weird waking up in the morning without Kira. Yes, I've started to get used to it, but am still adjusting.

When I walked into the kitchen, I heard the phone ring.

Picking it up off the receiver, I pressed the call button and held the phone to my ear. I heard Himeko's voice on the phone.

"Good morning, Yuki."

"Good morning, Himeko. What's up?"

"I was wondering if you thought about a plan yet."

"Ah....no. I haven't. Sorry about that."

"It's okay. Well, I'll call you if anything interesting happens over here. Good bye for now, Yuki."

"Alright. Talk to you later, Himeko."

Click!

With a click from Himeko's side of the phone, the call ended. I placed the phone back on its receiver and walked into the living room. I picked up the remote off from the table, pointed it at the TV, and turned the TV on.

Sitting on the couch, I flipped to the news. I wanted to see if Kira appeared on the screen again, and when I flipped to the news, I stayed on that channel for a while. After a few minutes, I saw that Kira didn't appear on the screen, so I turned it off.

"I guess she didn't cause any trouble last night. Maybe that's a sign. If we can find her, it might not be too late to get her back to her normal self, but that's only if we find her in time." I thought, placing a hand to my chin as I continued wondering about Kira.

"What are you doing, Daddy?" I heard Akari's voice snap me out of my thoughts. Turning my head to my right, she was standing behind the couch and looking at me.

"Checking the news."

"Why?"

"Just seeing if anything interesting is on."

Raising her hands above her head, Akari fell over the armrest and faceplanted onto the unoccupied couch seat next to me, but then pulled the rest of her body onto the cushion and straightened herself up.

"Where's Mommy?" Akari asked, crossing her legs as she sat on her couch cushion.

"Uh....she'll be back soon." I said, not knowing how else to tell my daughter that her Mother literally became a different person overnight a few nights ago.

"How long is soon? She's been gone for a few days now."

"I really don't know, Akari. I'm sorry."

Tilting her head, Akari's hands gripped her ankles tightly, giving me a look that screamed uncertainty.

"Did something happen to her?"

Figuring I couldn't hide the truth from her any longer, I decided it was best she knew about what happened to her Mother.

"Listen to me, Akari," I said, leaning closer to her, "it's true. Something happened to your Mother a few nights ago."

Akari's eyes widened as she quickly withdrew her hands from her ankles.

"Is she okay?" She asked, now holding on tightly to the couch cushion she was sitting on.

"She's fine as far as I know."

A look of confusion crossed onto Akari's face as she spoke again.

"Then where is she?"

"Look, Akari. Your Mother is dangerous now. Neon, Kori, Himeko, and I are trying to think up a plan to find her and bring her back home, but until then, she can't come back home."