Chapter 7: Worsening

When I walked out of the bathroom, there was Daichi, standing outside it with a concerned look on his face.

"I heard the mirror get smashed when I was walking past the bathroom. What was going on in there?" He asked as he crossed his arms.

"Oh...nothing." I said as I tried to hide my hand behind my back, but Daichi noticed it just in time.

"Did you do that?" He asked.

I didn't answer and just continued hiding my right hand behind my back, looking down with embarrassment.

Without warning, Daichi pulled my hand from behind my back and sighed as he looked it over, and then let it go.

"I guess you did this. Come on. Let's fix you up." Daichi said, and led me to a more private area. The area where some police officers can go if they get hurt.

Daichi rummaged through some cabinets while I awkwardly stood close to the doorway. I could've done this myself, but here he was, getting band-aids for me.

Or bandages.

If only I hadn't shattered that mirror....

I only continued to hide my bloody hand behind my back as I stared at the ground. I wasn't sure what to do about it at the moment. Shoving it into my pocket probably won't help a lot, either.

"Here." Daichi said after another minute. When I looked up, I saw a roll of bandages flying towards me, which I barely managed to catch.

"That should stop the bleeding. If anyone asks why your hand is wrapped up, I'll just tell them you trained yourself to catch a certain criminal and that happened." Daichi said as he began to walk out.

But he stopped when he saw me trying to unwrap the bandages from their roll.

He walked back into the room and started unwrapping the bandages for me. When he was done with that, I then interjected by telling him I could wrap the bandages around my hand myself.

"Now please tell me why you smashed the mirror. I never got an answer to that." He asked, sitting down on the seat across from me as he continued to stare down at my hand while I wrapped the bandages around it.

"Uh....I just....I thought I saw something weird..." I said as I didn't look up from my hand.

"Like what? A ghost?" Daichi asked as I finished wrapping the bandages around the hand.

".....Something like that." I muttered as I finally shoved both hands into my pockets.

Daichi sighed.

"It sounds to me like you just need to get more sleep. You've been changing a lot, you know that?"

"I know." I responded, eyes narrowed as I stared at the ground.

"Changing can be fine in some cases, but we're still friends, Kira. Actually, we're all friends here. Let me or one of the others know if you have a problem and we'll help you." Daichi said as he walked away.

Before he walked out of the room, he turned and I finally glanced at him, noticing that he was smiling at me.

"Oh, and make sure that hand heals." He said, and then walked away.

"Yeah...." I murmured as I took my hands out of my pocket and stared at the bandaged-bound one.

"Unfortunately for you, Daichi, getting more sleep won't help my behavior. My behavior changes are from something else." I muttered as I clenched my hand into a fist.

"....And it's something I can't control."

I unclenched my hand and crossed my arms.

"And I hate it. I want to control it, but I can't."