Broken Promises

After about an hour of crying and trying to reach Camila's cell phone, Lauren gave up. She had no idea where Camila had gone or where she would be staying. Her entire world had been turned upside down in a matter of minutes.

And it was all her fault.

Suddenly, the basketball player remembered something. The surveillance video.

She jumped off the couch and ran through the long hallway towards the front door. Lauren exited the house and did a full speed sprint down the drive way. Only one person knew how her security system worked besides herself.

Marty.

"That asshole." Lauren mumbled through her teeth.

She came to a skidding halt in front of the booth at the front gate, making the security guard who was inside jump. "Jesus, Lauren! You scared the shit out of me." Marty smiled.

"You!" The green eyed growled, staring daggers at her soon to be ex-employee.

A look of fear came over the guard's face. "What?"

Lauren charged into the booth and grabbed the man, forcefully shoving him against the wall.

"Why did you do it?!"

"What are you talking about?!"

"The cameras! Where the fuck did the extra cameras come from?!"

Marty suddenly became silent. Lauren pulled the frighten man toward her and pushed him against the wall again, harder than before.

"Answer me!"

"Ah! Okay, okay. It was this woman's idea."

"What woman?" Lauren snarled, her mind going crazy.

"She, her name was..."

"Spit it out, Marty!"

"Jasmine!" He screamed.

Lauren's eyes were as wide as saucers and she let go of the man. Marty slumped backward onto the wall, breathing heavily.

The dark haired took a step back and ran a shaky hand through her hair. "Jasmine?Jasmine Hayworth?"

Marty quickly nodded.

Lauren studied the man for a moment. "What did she offer you?" She asked, her eyes deadly.

The security guard couldn't bring himself to look at his employer. "Twenty grand."

Lauren chuckled between her teeth sarcastically and shook her head in disgust.

"I thought you were my friend, Marty."

The man looked up at her regrettably.
"I'm sorry, Lauren."

Lauren took a step forward and looked squarely into Marty's eyes.

"Good, I'm glad you're sorry, because you're also fired. You fucking traitor. Get off my property."

*   *   *

Camila had no idea where she was headed. She had been driving around the city for over forty five minutes with no place to go. Deciding she could not drive any longer, the brunette pulled into a semi busy gas station and cut the engine.

She leaned her head back against the headrest, took in a deep breath and slowly released it. She was hurting so badly inside and the cut ran deep.

Lauren had lied to her and it was beyond her belief. Camila pulled out her phone and hit the speed dial waiting patiently for her friend to answer.

"Hey, Mila." Dinah answered.

"Dinah. I need to talk." Camila got out, barely able to speak.

"Mila, what's wrong?"

"I...I left Lauren?

"What?"

"I left her. I packed a few things, jumped in my car and left. I don't know what to do, Dinah." The doctor cried frantically.

"Whoa, calm down. Just tell me what this is all about."

Camila explained the whole situation about Lauren's addiction to her best friend and Dinah couldn't believe her ears. How could Lauren do that?

"I had no idea, Mila."

"Neither did I. I should have paid more attention or?"

"Camila, don't make up excuses for her. This is not your fault. Lauren has a problem and she needs help."

"I know.I know." Camila sighed.

"You did the right thing."

"Did I? Every fiber of my being is telling me to just go back to her."

"I know, Mila. But like you said, she has to choose. You've already confronted her about it and that didn't end so well."

"Yeah, I ended up crashing my car."

There was a moment a silence between them.

"So, what will you do now?"

"I don't know. I guess I'll just check into a hotel, get settled."

"Okay, well you call me anytime, alright? I'll keep my phone near me."

"Thanks, DJ. You're a good friend."

After ending her conversation with Dinah, Camila started her car and pulled out of the gas station.

*   *   *

After making sure Marty had left the premises, Lauren ran back into the house and picked up her phone.

Jasmine... Camila was right about her all along.

"Hey, CeCe."

- - -

"Yeah, listen I need your help."

- - -

"Do you think I could get some help from that detective of yours?"

* * *

Later that evening, Camila was toweling off her hair as she walked out of the hotel bathroom in a white robe. It was a decent hotel and the doctor was fairly comfortable. While she was putting on her nightgown, she heard her phone vibrating. She really didn't feel like talking to anyone, in particular Lauren, so she let it go to messages.

As she settled herself in bed she began to think. About the green eyed mostly. She missed her terribly, but Lauren had broken an important promise to her. She was hurt and angry.

Lauren couldn't even stop for me. Camila thought closing her eyes.

A few tears silently escaped from under her tired eyelids.

* * *

Hello...it's me 👀

Finally I'm back, so sorry for having y'all waiting. Thanks for your messages encouraging me to continue, means a lot