Chapter 1

"I'll be glad when you're gone," Maxon scoffed before turning his eyes back to Kriss.

     My heart felt like it was shattering into a million pieces. This couldn't be happening. Not again.

     I'll be glad when you're gone.
     I'll be glad-

      I awoke with a scream and a nausea that made my stomach turn. Without warning, I started hurling my dinner by the side of my bed till I felt as empty as my heart. 

      It's been 2 months since Maxon chose Kriss and their wedding is set for today. I know this because I got the invitation just yesterday. My face had paled when I opened the envelope and saw the invitation inside.

      As an elite member, I was objected to attend the wedding. It's been a tradition since the first selection and I wasn't allowed to break that. Plus, I've broken too many things...

      I groaned, rubbing my tired eyes as a I sat up groggily. Unfortunately, I had sat up too fast because a wave of dizziness slammed into like like lightning. I hurled again.

      This was going to be a long day.

      Not long after I left the palace, I had found out that I was pregnant after I threw up my dinner the night I arrived back in Carolina. I had no plan of telling Maxon of this and still don't plan on telling. He had Kriss and he would have children with her. Plus, I didn't want my child to grow up knowing that their father was just a mile away. No.

      "Ames! Oh my god, not again," May groans, rushing to my room only to plug her nose and gag. "As much as I'm excited to become an aunt, you need to stop all this puking, I feel like puking now."

      "Sorry but I can't just put a stop to it. Anyway, I'll clean it up," I sigh, getting up from my bed and getting the mop near by and the bucket. I quickly mopped up all the puke and plushed it down the drain. As soon as I finished, I began to get myself ready for the day.

     When I had left the palace, I took all of my stuff from my room in the palace back to my home in Carolina like all of the Selecteds did. Once I finished my shower, I let my fingers roam the dresses that had been stuffed in the closet way too long. My fingers stopped at the light blue dress I wore on my first date with Maxon and my lungs tightened with emotions as memories flooded me. I swallowed back the emotions before pulling the dress from its hanger and pulling it on my body. It got stuck once it reached my stomach and I had to suck it in and pull the dress down till it was fitted tightly against me. I was barely showing and it wasn't noticable on anyone's eyes. My doctor said that I would start to really show in a couple weeks or so. The thought frightened me because people would notice and start to question me of the child's father.

      "Oh Ames, you look so beautiful. Come sit, I'll do your hair," May sighed as she stared at me then patted the chair beside her while holding a curling iron. "Have you given any thought on names yet for the baby?"

    "Goodness no. I don't even know their gender, May," I rolled my eyes before grabbing my jewelry box. Inside layed only three jewelries. Maxon's bracelet, Aspen's button, and Maxon's other bracelet from the Convicting. I instinctively touched my neck for my songbird necklace but only to feel bare skin. I swallowed before deciding on Maxon's bracelet. It felt weird to slip it on again after such a long time.

    May finished curling my hair and pinned two pieces to meet in the middle of the back of head. Not long after, we heard gentle knocks on our front door.

    "That's your que, Ames. I'll see you tommorow. Have fun but not too much fun okaayy? Remember what happened last time," May warned, wagging her finger at me.