Chapter 9

"On with it, lads. There's like 2 billion people behind you," the operator sighed pushing them into the cart, not realizing that it was Maxon or America.

   "I-," America argued but the thing locked and they started to move up. She bit her lip and looked to her lap, refusing to meet his eyes or acknowledge him.

    This is your chance Maxon. Take it. Talk to her.

    "Am-," Maxon started to say but America shooked her head, inching as far away as she could from him, hugging her teddy bear.

    "Don't make this harder for us than it is Maxon," America said. "Let's just not."

    Maxons leashed snapped at that. "No! America, gods. I-I need to get this out. It's been eating at me and I can't sleep, eat or function properly. I-Im sorry, America. I'm so sorry. When I saw you and Leger I was hurt. I was angry because I thought you were cheating on me with him in which I don't even know the story to it not that it matters or care anymore. I was jealous because I loved you like I loved no other. I loved you so much that I woke up every morning and you were the only one on my mind. I still love you, America. If I can turn back time I would. I would propose to you not Kriss. I would marry you and live my whole life with you. But I know I can't now. I see how happy you are with Julian and if you really want him and love him I understand. I love you enough to let you be happy even if that means not with me. But I beg to God that it is with me. I'm so sorry, my dear. I know this doesn't change anything but I truly am sorry and please forgive me," Maxon said, his eyes tearing up the whole time.

    America didn't respond for a while as she kept looking at her lap but then she looked up. "I'm not your dear." She said and a sob of relief escaped Maxons throat.

    He pulled her to him and hugged her as if the world was ending. America didn't respond at first but then found herself wrapping her arms around him as well, burying her face in his chest. The tears came.

    She knew deep inside that she still loved Maxon with all her heart. She knew that she was just using Julian as a replacement for Maxon and she felt bad. She knew that he could never be him and she could never be happy with him.

    But she also knew Maxon was engaged. 

    She pulled away, wiping her tears. "We can't do this Maxon. You're engaged. I'm in the Selection. You have Kriss now," she sniffles.

    "I...I know. I'll fix it, America. You know I have Julian to thank for. Now he's the nation's focus. Anything I do is not going to be payed any attention or anyone will care. The only problem is Kriss," Maxon says, resting his head back on the seat.

     "Yeah...," America sighed. "I can't do that to Kriss, Maxon. She's my friend."

     "I know as she is mine but I can't be with her America. She's just not you and I can never be happy with her," Maxon said stroking her hand while he held it. "I love you."

     America just closed her eyes, savoring the moment with him even if it was just for a few minutes. "I love you too."

    Maxon sighed, pulling them closer till there was no room between them. He looked down at his dear, feeling content at the moment.

    "Maxon...I'm pregnant,"