Chapter 3

"Maxon. Hold on okay?" I say, caressing his cheek then getting to work. He was still breathing but unconcious. I stripped him of his dress shirt then his actual shirt. I got to work on cleaning, and wrapping the wound tightly so no blood could escape and the wound to close. I then rush to the opposite side of the room to bring some water for him. I propped him up on my lap, opening his mouth and pouring water. "Come on, Maxon. Swallow."

    Maxon didn't swallow and just stayed unconcious. I sighed, giving up and laying down beside him. "Please don't let our children grow up without a father...please."

    I sighed then closed my eyes, nodding off to sleep.

     "What children?" Came a raspy weak voice. Maxon. I quickly sat up.

    I threw my arms around his neck and not chest. "Oh, Maxon! I tho-thought that you were...how are you feeling?"

    "I feel...in pain. A lot of pain but I'm still alive. What children?" Maxon asked again.

    "Nothing. I meant I don't know. Maybe you and Kris did stuff and don't want you guys children to grow up without a father," I lied.

    "Oh. I haven't- we haven't done anything nor would I," Maxon says.

    "She's going to be your wife, Maxon. Of course you will," I whispered.

    Maxon didn't move from his lying position but managed to take my hand in his. "I meant what I said earlier, America. My heart only belongs to you and only you. I was hurt and I wanted to hurt you too for it so I was marrying Kriss. I love you, America. I never stopped."

     I didn't reply for I didn't know how to reply so I just sat in silence for the remainder of our time there. We didn't have to wait long because the door opened and a guard entered.

    "Your majesty. General, I've found him," the guard bowed and called over Markson who was the general of Maxon's guards. "The rebels have been taken care of, your Highness."

    "Guards! Get Maxon to the infirmary immiediately! He's been shot. It's bad. Hurry," I cried out once the guards had entered. The guards immiediately rush to pick up Maxon from his position on the floor.

    "America...stay...okay? Don't leave," Maxon says through labored breaths, squeezing my hand before the guards pulled him out the room and towards the infirmary.

     "Oh America! We were so worried," Marlee gushed, rushing to me and pulling me out of the safe room. "Are you alright?"

    It took me a minute to get my eyes adjusted to the light. "I'm fine. Maxon's been shot. How is everyone?"

    Marlee gulped. "The King and Queen has been killed...that new Julian guy earlier is now king."

    I gasped. "What?? No!" I cried, remembering the queen. She'd told me I could call her mom while I had brushed her hair. Then I remember Julian. "What?? Who agreed to that?"

    "The council. They've tested his DNA and he is the firstborn of the King which entitles him to the throne," Marlee says. "Oh...and one more thing that you are not going to like..."

    I froze then stare at her. "What am I not going to like?"

    Marlee looked away, scraching at the back of her neck. "Julian announced that the old selecteds elites are to participate in his Selection. Of course, I'm not a lady anymore and I'm married so I wouldn't participate but you, Celeste, Elise, and Natalie. Kriss is officially engaged as well to the prince so she's a no go. Celeste's fiance called off the wedding and left her. Julian is adding two more to make it the official six. He picked some girls from the old Selected group. I think their names are Leela and Sonya. Anyway, yeah..."

    I exploded. "WHAT?! He can't do that! No. That's barbaric. I'm not going to be in this Selection again. Last time was hard enough."

   "He technically can do that as King plus we all signed a contract. I mean if you look at it in the positive way, you can be with us again and your maids," Marlee replied with a sarcastic tone.

   I groaned out loud then straightened up. "I'm going to have a word with him. Maybe convince him that he's a lunatic and I'm not going to participate in his barbaric Selection." I growled before stomping away to find this so called King.

   I didn't have to look very long because he was seated on the throne room with advisors at his feet. "You!" I glared, pointing a finger at him.

    Julian looked up before dismissing his advisors. "Hello, love. What has brought you here?"

    "First of all. Quit calling me love. Second, I'm not participating in your Selection!" I glared. "Maxon was trained as King and he should go for King not you. You don't even have any training whatsoever."

    Julian didn't reply and just busied himself dusting the throne. His face turning from stony and hidden to exposed as soon as the advisors left the room. "Did you know I've been trapped in the dungeon for the 18 years of my life. I know I don't have training and I know that I'm not the ideal king for the country. I admit that I don't know what I'm doing but I'm managing along as I go. I'm just asking for a chance from both you and the people of the country. So please, love. Try to understand my situation first before deciding that I'm not worthy for the country and to win your heart." He added a wink and smirk at his last two sentence.

   I sigh. "Look I'm-," I stop speaking because next thing I knew, I found myself puking by the nearest trash. I groan out loud, rubbing my head to try and ease the nausea. Julian came running down and towards me.

   "You don't look so good, love. Come on let's get you to the in-," He was saying but I didn't hear the rest of his sentence because I found myself falling to the ground. Everything turned black. Last I remember was him picking me up bridal style in his arms and the bounce of his steps.