Chapter 11

It was the next day and the royals were entering the mess hall while everyone waited to eat. First was the Queen, then Julian, and Maxon...without Kriss.

      America stared at Maxon, asking the question with her eyes.

     Maxon nodded slightly before taking his place. He looked sad and angry at the same time. America wondered what happened with Kriss. Based on his looks, it didn't went well.

      America sighed, tugging her ear. Maxon soon followed with a tight smile. Once the royals began to eat, everyone else followed.

     "So did you guys have fun last night?" Julian asked his Selecteds.

     "Yeah! Oh my gods. It was the best. We managed to get Elise to actually ride some rides with us. It was a fun filled day," Celeste giggled.

     "Yes, it was quite thrilling," Elise shrugged.

      "Hmmhmm," America agreed, her mouth full of strawberry tarts. It tasted a bit different than normal but yummy any ways. Though, it left a bitter after taste. She shrugged it off and kept eating.

      "I see you are quite fond of those tarts, lady America," Julian chuckled, watching her devour the whole bowl of tarts.

      "They're quite delicious, your majesty," America answered.

      "Well I'm glad you found them to your taste. Now I best be off. I will see you all for lunch," Julian says, wiping his mouth and rushing off for his date with Leela. Leela wasn't at breakfast today as well. Everyone knew what was up.

     Once breakfast was finished, the rest of the girls went to do their own thing since Julian was with Leela.

     America headed to the gardens for a walk where Maxon awaited her.

     America smiled as she spotted Maxon sitting on their bench. She quickly headed there and sat down. "Hi," she smiled.

     "Hello," Maxon smiled, his face full of love for her.

      "How'd the thing go with...Kriss?" America asked, concerned.

      Maxon sighed, leaning back. "It went...in all sense horribly. She didn't take it very well but hey I mean we're together now. I can finally chose you," Maxon said, stroking her cheek.

      America sighed sadly. Kriss was one of her closest friends during the Selection. The last she'd seen her was this early morning when she was grabbing a midnight snack. She spotted Kriss in the kitchen but she quickly ran away. That was strange.

       "That's true," America smiled, then suddenly felt off. Something didn't feel right. But it was only a smidgen of discomfort so she just shrugged it off.

        "But I want to do it properly this time so we're going a little trip," Maxon smiled.

      America gasped in delight. "To where? When??"

     "It's a sunrise, my dear," Maxon chuckled.

     America glared playfully and punched him lightly. He just chuckled. "Ugh you know I hate surprises."

      "I do know," Maxon chuckled some more.

      "Ugh you're insufferable but I love you anyways. Let's walk?" America said, standing up. Then she cried out. In real agonizing pain that brought immediate tears to her eyes. "Maxon," she whimpered.

     Maxon gasped, quickly catching her in his arms. "GUARDS! GET THE DOCTOR!" He yelled with his stern voice as he picked up Ameria. "Hold on, America. Hold on for me. What hurts?"

     "Everything. My stomach," America whimpered, crying. She clutched her stomach in pain as well. She started sobbing when she saw blood leaking through her legs. "Maxon!" She cried out.

      Maxon was horrified and scared for her. He was running to the hospital as fast as he could with her in his arms and blood trailing them along the way.

      "AH!" America screamed as a burst of pain resonated through her. "Maxon it hurts," she sobbed.

     Maxon felt helpless at the moment and started to cry as well. "I'm sorry, America. Everything's gonna be alright. The doctor is gonna be here any minute okay? Just Hold on for me. I love you," Maxon said, placing her on the hospital bed gently and gripped her hands.

     The doctor arrived shortly and gasped at the scene. Maxons whole shirt was with blood while America kept losing it. He quickly gathered his wits. "I'm sorry your majesty but you'll have to step out the room. We've got her and we'll do everything in our power to help her."

      "No! I want to stay with her!" Maxon said sternly and the doctor had no choice but to obey.

     The doctor and the nurses who arrived got to work. They placed a curtain between America's waist and then injected her with a medicine which immediately knocked her to sleep. Maxon stayed by her the whole time eventhough it took till midnight and half of the early morning. It was till 3 when they finally finished.

      The doctor took down the curtain and looked to Maxon with pity.

      "So?! How is she? What happened? Is she okay?? How's our children?" Maxon asked, angry.

       "She is quite fine," the doctor said.

      Maxon sagged with relief. "So what happened?"

      "She was...poisoned, your majesty. I'm sorry to say that the twins did not make it. We did everything we could but we couldn't save them," The Doctor said with pity and sadness.

      Maxon almost fell back as he stumbled a step.

     Their children were dead.

      The twins were dead.

      The children he never got to meet were dead.

       She was poisoned and he knew exactly who did it. He was going to make them regret it.