Chapter 4

"She's in a stable condition, your majesty. She just fainted due to exhaustion. She also fainted due to lack of nutrition for the children," The doctor said.

    "What children?" Julian's voice exclaimed.

    "Her children? She's pregnant, your majesty. By the looks of it, she's two months along and having twins," the doctor replied.

    Julian plopped down in the couch. "Do you know who's the- America! You're awake!"

    I sat up, or tried to, groaning in pain and clutching at my stomach. "Yeah..."

   "How are you feeling? and the...um... babies?" Julian says, getting up from the couch and walking to the side of the bed.

    I groaned. Great. Now Julian Mr. Purrsalot knows. "I'm fine. They'- I'm having twins?" I gasped, turning to the doctor.

   "It would appear so, Lady America," the doctor answered.

   I smile slightly, caressing my stomach. Not only would I get one bundle of joy, I'd get two. I laid back in the bed, keeping my hands on the top of my baby bump.

    "Do you need anything? Water perhaps? Food? Dinner was only an hour ago. I'm sure the kitchen still has leftovers," Julian asks, sitting at the edge of the bed.

   I shook my head. "I'm fine. When can I leave, doctor?"

   "You're free to leave now but here's a list of medications that you need to take to keep  the children healthy and safe. You also need to exhibit a healthy diet from now on. Don't get too stress or tired. Get lots of rest," the doctor instructed before handing me a piece of paper that had a list of medications on it.

    "How am I suppose to pay for all of this?" I groaned, flopping down in the bed and covering my face with a pillow.

    "No worries, love. I've got it. Perks of being King. Up you go," Julian says, offering his hand.

    I didn't take his hand but looked up at him gratefully. "I-I can't thank you enough. Thank you. Can you fetch Lucy and Aspen?"

    "Umm...I don't know who those are," Julian replied, scratching the back of his neck.

   I groaned.

   "America?" A voice responded. It didn't come from my cot but the next cot beside mine. I immiediately recognized the voice. His voice. "America?"

    "Maxon!" I gasped, rushing out my cot and the one next to mine. Sure there was Maxon laid on a cot, his whole chest bandaid up. "You're alive!" I threw my arms around him.

    Maxon grunted quietly in pain but wrapped his arms around me as well. "I'm alright but why are you here? Are you hurt? Julian? What is he doing with you?"

   "I...I'm fine. I just passed out from stress and Julian brought me here," I whispered, not really ready to let go just yet.

   Maxon buried his face in my hair, stroking it gently.

    Julian coughed loudly. "Ehem. Lady America has got to get to her room now to sleep so you know, she won't pass out again. Plus, the selection is starting tommorow as well."

    "Right. Alr-wait what? What Selection? The Selections finished," Maxon questioned.

    "Correction. Your Selection is over. Now I'm King, I need a queen by my side and I've chosen the remaining Elites and two girls. My Selection will start tommorow," Julian answered before offering his hand to me.

    Once again, I didn't take it. "Look, Julian. I meant what I said earlier. I can't do that again."

    Julian sighed and when he did it was as if a wall inside him broke down. "Like I said as well. Please give me one chance, love. The love you're chasing after is useless and you know it. He's engage America and half way married. Don't make yourself a mistress. Just think about it okay? For you and the future of...them." With that he turned around and left.

   Maxon stared at me dumfounded. "You're not seriously going through with it are you??"

    "I...," I didn't know what to think or say. I knew Julian was right. Maxon chose Kriss. He was going to marry her and start a family with her. My children would grow up without a father. If I kept pushing myself on him, I'd be a mistress. The very word brought vile in my mouth. Plus, Julian was innocent. I felt bad that he was locked up in a dirty dungeon with rats, water, and bread for the 18 years of his life. Maybe............maybe I could give him a chance. My chance with Maxon was over. I can't keep pushing myself at him. I need to move on for both my sake and my children. "I am. going through with it I mean. You chose Kriss that day, Maxon. I...you hurt me as I've hurt you. I can't keep...attaching myself to you. You're going to be a married man, Maxon. I need to find my own happiness. Maybe its miraculously with Julian. I don't know. All I know is that I need to move on and I need to forget. I'm sorry. I need to go. Bye, Maxon," I say before turning my back on him and leaving the infirmary without waiting for a reply.

    As soon as I close the door I released a breath that I didn't even know I was holding. I was really going to do this. Go through another Selection. What have I done. I just set my heart up to be broken again. There's absolutely no way that Julian would choose me. I just have to not let him in. Yes that's what I'm going to do. Let him realize that I'm no one important and let him chose another girl. Alright.

   With that plan on my head, I head to my room where I sent my maids away and drifted off to a dreamless sleep.

   Tommorow's going to be a very long and evenful day.

   Selection here I come.