Chapter 5

(switch to 3rd person)
     "Ladies. I know I don't need to remind all of you the rules but I will. No socializing with anyone in a way that violates the terms of conditions with the Selection. You know how it'll go by now so please don't. We have this new rule that forbids you to travel outside the palace without a guard but other than that, you know the basics," Silvia reminded.

    The four girls, plus two mysterious girls who apparently were handpicked by Julian from the old selection papers. Both were twins and were called by Leela and Lacy. They were a strange pair. Leela had long black hair and blue violen eyes while Lacy was blonde, tall, slim, and blue eyes. The girls sat at the mess hall with the tables filled with foods that piled humongously.

America stared at the food with longing eventhough it hadn't been long since she'd sat at that same spot. Her stomach grumbled at the sight of the strawberry tarts.

    "OH and don't start eating till the royals are seated and eating. That means you Leela," Silvia scolded.

   Leela blushed. "Sorry."

   "Alright. Well here we go again girls. The same journey all over again. May the odds be ever in your favor," Silvia said and with that she took her own seat. 

   "Hi. I'm Lacy. Isn't this just fabulous! Oh the prince is more handsome than I realized. I do prefer a blondie tho but anyway," Lacy babbled on to Celeste. The two quickly became friends and talked about fashion which none of the others focused on. Not long after, the royals arrived. First was the Queen who had a blank look on her face. The King didn't show. Next came Maxon who was linked hands with Kriss.

    America looked away and focused solely on the plate in front of her.

    Then came Julian who just strolled in the throne room as if he owned the place. He wore normal jeans and a polo shirt, his hands tucked in his pockets. He looked around the room with curiosity till his eyes landed on the thrones. He carefully observed the empty throne for the king. He strutted towards it and plopped down. But before doing so he gave the Queen a kiss on the forehead, a hug, and whispered something to her. The Queen seemed affected and her lips wobbled slightly before the blank look came over her again.

   Julian surveyed the room once he was seated. His eyes landed on America and he gave her a tight smile. "Before we start I do have some announcements. First of all, the King was killed during the attack. Blah blah blah. Second, I have handpicked two people from the old pile of selected in which they are Leela and Lacy Lee. Third, there will be some changes that will be made here. Good changes tho. Stay tuned. For now, let's eat," Julian announced before eating as well.

   The girls and the staffed looked at each other unsure of whether to recognize Julian as royal or not. Everyone looked to Maxon for reassurance but he gave none so everyone had no choice but to listen.

   Once everyone was done eating, Julian stood up first. He strolled towards the door that was the entrance to the small living room of the palace. "Alright listen up. All staff members you will find directions in the staff room. Girls, one by one you will be called to a 15 minute chat with me and after please head to your room for further instructions. Your maids will know what to do. Without furtherado, up first is Lady Celeste."

    Celeste proudly stood up, winked at America, and modeled walk her way to the prince.

     Or King. Or Julian.

      Celeste entered and left the room 5 minutes later. Not 10...weird America frowned. Celeste sat back down with a happy sigh.

     "Sooooo. What happened?" America asks, raising her eyebrows.

     "OH nothing nothing. Just a date," Celeste gushed. "He's very handsome don't you agree?"

     "No. I d-," America was saying but stopped mid sentence when she felt an abrupt pain in her stomach. Black dots appeared on her vision. It left as fast as it came but it was a pain.

    "Are you alright??" Celeste gasped clutching her arm to support her.

   America nodded, shaking away the feeling. She'd have to see the doctor later on about that. "Yes. Fine just dizzy."

    "Up next. America Singer," Julian said with a rather excited tone that made America roll her eyes.

     "Well. Better to get it over with ," America sighed before standing up and starting to walk towards the room. She only got halfway before the pain returned.

    This time it wasn't that quick to go away. The pain was unbearable and tears filled her eyes and her face scrunched up in pain. She fell to the floor with a cry of pain and anguish, clutching her stomher.

The last thing she saw was the pair of chocolate eyes that she dearly loved most before the black void claimed her.