chapter nine

❝ hey, im here, im here, im not
going anywhere. ❞

CARINA GLANCED OUT THE window as the speeder bus came to a halt, she turned to grab the luggage as Anakin took care of the others.

The doors slide open and the Jedi Knight made way for Senator Amidala to step onto the great courtyard that was truly a sight to behold. Plants and flowers decorated the concrete columns and Carina smiled in awe, "I forgot how beautiful Naboo was."

Padme sighed softly, "I've missed it here."

Carina glanced over at a small passageway, her thoughts now wandering to the moment when she had first rescued Padme and her people with Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gon. A frown began to tug at her lips as memories of her old mentor flushed through her mind.

So long since his passing, yet to the young Jedi, it felt like she had lost him yesterday.

Anakin noticed Carina's drastic mood change and gazed down at her whilst Padme waltzed a few feet ahead of them.

"Everything okay?" the padawan gently whispered as he caught the brunette's attention. Carina plastered on a smile as she nodded, "Yes, of course."

Anakin narrowed his eyes at her, clearly not buying her act but let it go. He would not force her to speak if she did not wish to.

The trio continued down the courtyard as R2 let out a few beeps in Carina's direction, to which the girl gave him a small smile, "C'mon, R2."

Carina held her hands clasped together as she lingered a few feet behind Padme with Anakin at her side as the Senator began to speak with Queen Jamilla with Sio Bibble and a few guards as well as handmaidens circling them.

"We've been worried about you." The Queen took Senator Amidala's hand as a relieved smile spread across her lips, "I'm so glad you're safe, Padme."

"Thank you, Your Highness. I only wish I could have served you better by staying on Coruscant for the vote." Padme held a regretful tone to which Sio Bibble chimed in, "Given the circumstances, Senator, you know it was the only decision her Highness could have made."

Carina suppressed a yawn as Anakin continued to steal glances at the brunette.

Queen Jamilla pursed her lips, "How many systems have joined Count Dooku and the separatists?" Padme thought for a small moment before replying, "About two hundred. And more are leaving the Republic every day. If the Senate votes to create an army, I'm sure it's going to push us into a civil war."

Bibble held an agitated expression, "It's unthinkable. There hasn't been a full-scale war since the formation of the Republic."

Carina silently hummed a tune as she tapped her nails against her utility belt. A smile etched its way onto Anakin's lips as he heard the brunette hum, he gazed over at her, raising a curious brow.