chapter twenty-eight

❝ when will it end? ❞

CARINA PARKED THE CRUISER, anxiety coursing through her as she glanced back at Obi-Wan who had lips pursed, "Let me talk to him first."

"Carina—"

"Please. I have to try."

Obi-Wan slouched back in his seat, "Alright, but if he tries to hurt you—" he begun but couldn't finish as Carina cut him off, "He won't."

Obi-Wan nodded to which Carina stood from her seat as she watched a hooded figure descend up the skiff as Carina exited the lowered ramp. Carina picked up her pace as Anakin made his way towards her, the brunette held hesitance in her movements as the blonde engulfed her.

Carina froze for a moment before hesitantly wrapping her arms around him. Anakin pulled back, examining her face as he spoke, "What are you doing out here, Ina?"

"I needed to see you, to see your face."

Anakin furrowed his brows in confusion, "What do you mean?"

"I don't— a part of me is hoping that there's even a sliver of a chance that it's not true. I know it's idiotic and ignorant but I want to believe in you."

Anakin's lips parted as he gazed intensely at his wife, hand reaching up to cup her cheek as he questioned, "You're scaring me, Ina."

Carina began to breathe heavily, "The attack on the temple, on the younglings, on the Jedi... it caused by you, wasn't it?"

Anakin searched his lovers gaze, yet to his surprise he found no hate in them, "Who told you that? Obi-Wan? Is he the one trying to turn you against me?"

Carina closed her eyes for a moment, that was all the confirmation she needed, "I saw it with my own eyes, Ani. You held me the night I almost died knowing you were the one who had given the order to kill all Jedi." Anakin was quick to retort her accusation, "No, it was meant for the others. I would never ever hurt you. Everything that I'm doing, all this. This is for you, Ina."

Carina pulled her arms away from him, tears clouding up her vision as she took a step away from her husband, "No, this isn't for me. You know that all this would be the last thing I'd want."

Anakin clenched his jaw, "No one else is able to save you, only my new powers can do that." Carina gaped at the male, shaking her head in disagreement, "But at the cost of what? You are a good person, Anakin. Don't go down this path."

The blonde narrowed his eyes, "I won't lose you the way I lost my mother. I've become more powerful than any Jedi has ever dreamed of and I've done it for you. To protect you."

Carina looked at the man before her like a total stranger, the person before her was not Anakin Skywalker, "You killed those younglings in cold blood, not a shred of mercy to be seen." the brunette's hand instinctively went to her womb, "What of our child?"