chapter ten

❝ some people just weren't meantfor a happy ending ❞

for a happy ending ❞

CARINA PICKED UP the used plates from the main dining table after Padme had finished eating, Anakin was collecting the utensils to help her out.

Carina avoided eye contact with the young Skywalker as she placed the dishes in the kitchen. The padawan felt a frown tug on his lips upon seeing her keep her distance, he stole a glance at her and the Jedi Knight had her lips tightly pursed before she dusted off her hands, looking up at the blonde, "Thank you for your help."

Anakin meekly nodded, "My pleasure."

Carina turned to walk away, wanting to extract herself from the tense atmosphere when Anakin spoke up, causing her to halt her steps, "May I tell you something?"

The twenty two year old closed her eyes, "I don't know."

"Then how can I tell you?"

"Does your mind tell you it's wise to say it to me?"

Anakin furrowed his brows together, "I don't know, the only thing on my mind is you." Carina gazed down at the ground before turning towards the padawan, "Anakin, please don't."

The young Skywalker let out a soft scoff, "Don't what? It's not my fault that from the moment I met you not a day has gone by where I haven't thought of you. Being around you is intoxicating and I'm frustrated that I cannot act on how I feel. The thought of not being with you physically makes me sick."

Carina held a torn look as Anakin continued, "Four years ago when you arrived back from that mission and I was finally able to see you again after six years, I had never been so happy. Then having to part with you again, it broke me. Please tell me it is not only I feeling this way. Please."

Carina inhaled sharply before clasping her hands tightly together, "We swore an oath to the Jedi, Anakin. We are not allowed to tread into relationships, we know this very well. We can't do this, no matter how we feel towards each other."

Anakin felt a slimmer of hope shoot through him as he intensely gazed at Carina, "So you do feel something. Carina, we cannot deny the bond between us."

Carina's posture straightened up, "We're going to have to. We would both be expelled from the order, we cannot give up our futures for this. I made a pact to help people as a Jedi, that is what I must do."

Anakin took a step towards the brunette, "I was destined to be a Jedi. I don't think I could be anything else. But you are asking me to be rational. That is something I know I cannot do. I wish I could wish my feelings away... but I can't."

Carina stumbled backwards, shaking her head as she did so, "I refuse to give into this, I can't."

"Carina—"