chapter twenty-six

❝ he's— he's gone

❝ he's— he's gone. right? ❞

ANAKIN PACED AROUND IN THE council chambers, brows creased upon absolutely hating the fact that Mace had sent him to simply wait whilst he arrested Palpatine for being the Sith lord.

He should be there, helping since he had been the very one to discover it, but as usual he was secluded, left out.

Previous nightmares suddenly flooded his mind of his wife, Carina crying with Obi-Wan attempting to calm her down whilst she was on an operating table.

Anakin clenched his jaw, he would sooner burn planets to the ground, till there was nothing left of them, then let her die. He made Carina a promise, and he would be damned if he didn't keep it.

Anakin rushed out of the chambers, hurriedly making his way towards his parked speeder as he jumped into the vehicle, quickly taking off as he began to approach the Senate office.

The Jedi Knight parked the speeder on the platform before slipping out of the cockpit. Moving his legs quickly as he treaded down the long corridor towards Palpatine's office.

Anakin walked in on Mace looming over Palpatine who was sprawled over the ledge, looking weak.

"You are under arrest, My Lord." Mace Windu seethed at the Chancellor.

Palpatine was quick to gaze over at Anakin, "Anakin! I told you it would come to this. I was right. The Jedi are taking over."

Mace let out a harsh scoff, "You old fool. The oppression of the Sith will never return. Your plot to regain control of the Republic is over— you have lost."

"No. You will die."

Anakin swallowed thickly as he gazed between the two just as Palpatine raised his fingertips as  lightening bolts shot out only to be deflected by Mace's saber.

Palpatine spared the young Skywalker a glance, "He is a traitor, Anakin."

Mace narrowed his eyes at the Sith, "He's the traitor." Palpatine mentally grinned as he spoke to Anakin, "Come to your senses, boy. The Jedi are in revolt. They will betray you, just as they betrayed me."

The Jedi and Sith struggled as Mace pushed against Palpatine's lightening. The Chancellors face began to look more distorted with the more power he used, "I have the power to save the one you love. You must choose. You must stop him."

Mace grit his teeth as he held his saber with great force, "Don't listen to him, Anakin."

"Help me. Don't let him kill me. I am weak— I am too weak."