chapter forty-four

❝ you don't know me

❝ you don't know me. ❞

CHILLS RIPPLED THROUGH Carina's skin as she exhaled, pulling her coat tighter around herself. The woman absolutely hated Hoth, she had never been fond of the cold. Neutral climates worked more in her favor but more then the weather, it was the reminders the snow brought.

Memories of the time her and Anakin started a snowball fight that lasted longer than it was supposed to. Laughter echoed through her ears, as if she was reliving the moment. It was one of those memories that were engraved in her mind, it was a time when she felt unimaginable happiness. A time she missed.

Carina blinked as she broke out of her trance, catching sight of her son stepping towards her with his saber in hand. The brunette quirked up a brow at him, "Ready to get thrashed again?"

Luke feigned an offended expression, "Hey, I'm getting better." Carina gave the boy a look as she turned to walk into the only vast space available in the base, "You're lucky you didn't have my Master watch your training."

Luke was quick to follow after her, "They were strict?" Carina dryly chuckled, "Well, my first one wasn't as much. Master Windu on the other hand did not bother going easy on me."

The blonde boy tilted his head slightly at her, "You had two mentors?"

Carina fell silent for a short moment, slipping her saber out of her utility belt before turning towards her child, "I lost my first Master at twelve so I had to be given a new one since I was a young padawan."

Luke pulled his brows together, "Is it normal for padawan's to lose their mentors?"

Carina shrugged off her extra coat, her son was a very curious person, though she couldn't blame him. She was the only person who could answer his questions.

"It is, most are Jedi Knights and Jedi Masters so death is always in line for them. Masters have also been known to lose padawan's as well."

Curiosity shined in Skywalker's eyes, "Really?" The brunette nodded in confirmation, "It's quite common as well."

"Did my parents have padawan's?"

Carina stilled at the question, her eyes going blank as she thought of one person. Ahsoka. One of the people she most cared and loved for, she felt a sense of failure when she thought of the young girl.

She felt as if she could've done more for her, the council had not been the only one responsible for her absence, but she felt guilty for it as well.

Ahsoka was never Carina's padawan, but that didn't stop the brunette from treating and protecting her like her own. She trained Ahsoka just as much as Anakin did.

"Your father did." Luke's eyes visibly brightened up at the mention of his father as the woman continued, "Ahsoka Tano. One of the best people I knew."

The blonde knitted his brows together, "Knew?"