chapter fifty

❝ i knew, i always did. ❞

— LUKE GROANED SOFTLY, pulling himself up from the nursing bed as Leia watched him closely. R2 let out a distressed beep, letting the blonde Skywalker know what the droid was stressed about.

"We'll get her back R2, we have to."

Leia didn't bother masking the pure worry she held for Carina, "You don't think they'll kill her, do you?"

Luke swallowed thickly, his thoughts wandering off the last moment he saw the brunette. He visibly remembered the look in her eyes, and the boy felt stupid for not realizing earlier the pure look of love and concern she held. His mother, for years he had his true mother right before him and he never knew.

The thought made frustration grow within the Skywalker boy, he wished she had told him the truth. He wished he would've been able to spend time with her knowing the truth, but he also understood why Carina hadn't told him.

Especially after seeing how the empire was desperate to get ahold of them both. Now she was in their hands, being held as a prisoner while he roamed free. Luke hated it, hated knowing she was taken because of him, because he hadn't been strong enough to take Vader, leaving his mother to pay the price.

"No, they would have killed her on sight if that was their intention. They need her." Luke grimly spoke, hiding the uncertainty in his words. The young boy was terrified for his mother, afraid what they would do to her if she did not comply with whatever they would ask of her.

The second Darth Vader had revealed himself to be Luke's father, it was as if everything had clicked into place. All the pieces clicking together as everything began to make sense.

Carina's words suddenly rang in his ears, "It's my fault he is who he is now."

Algora blamed herself for his fall, carried the guilt of Vader being corrupted by the dark side of the force. Luke finally understood why she had always been against teaching him the ways of the Jedi, the ways of the force. She was scared of losing another the way she lost her lover.

He wouldn't disappoint her, he couldn't. He would do everything in his power to make the woman proud, he would do what his father could not.

Luke ran his hand over his face, he needed to get his mother back, and he would.

Carina groaned loudly, her hand immediately going to her head as a sharp pain pulsed in her mind. The mother hissed through her teeth before slowly blinking, adjusting to the light before slowly sitting upright.