chapter forty-three

❝ i need you to go

❝ i need you to go. ❞

CARINA PULLED HER brows together as she stepped into the war room, taking her place beside her daughter before gazing intently at the table that displayed the planet Yavin and it's four moons. A red dot inching closer towards it, which was marked as the death star.

"Stand-by alert. Death Star approaching. Estimated time to firing range, fifteen minutes."

The brunette grit her teeth as crossfire began to erupt, the shots could be heard from the transmitter as the pilots had passed through the death stares magnetic field.

"We're starting for the target shaft now."

The mother pressed her clenched fist to her lips as she didn't dare move her gaze from the map before her. Her stress levels rose as the death star continued making it's way closer and closer.

"Heavy fire, boss! Twenty-degrees."

"I see it. Stay low."

Carina chewed her lower lip anxiously as she wished she had hopped onto a star fighter and joined the fight above, but it had been over twenty years since she had piloted such an aircraft. Yet, her merely standing and watching the fight happen wasn't something she ever did.

Leia noticed the woman's distress, reaching a hand to lay on her forearm before speaking, "It's gonna be okay."

Carina gazed into the princess' eyes, find much of herself in them before hesitantly nodding in agreement. Leia turned back towards the table as the brunette worked on calming herself.

"This is Red Five, I'm going in."

Carina's head perked up a bit upon hearing her sons voice, the mother swallowed thickly as she watched the radar.

"Luke pull up!"

Carina clenched her fists at her sides as she parted her lips to let out a small breath, calming her mind a bit.

"Are you all right?"

"I got a little cooked, but I'm okay."

Carina glanced up at 3PO before pushing her chestnut locks behind her shoulders, tapping her foot slightly to which Leia peered back at her, "You're not used to being on the sidelines, are you?"

"No, usually I'm the one being heard about how I almost died over the coms."

A soft smile tugged on Leia's tainted lips, "I don't doubt it. There's no point in stressing over it since all we can do now is watch, we did our part, now they have to do theirs."

Carina closed her eyes for a short moment, taking in her daughters words as acceptance settled in. The brunette slowly nodded, "You're right."

Leia gave her a comforting smile before turning towards the general. Carina softly breathed as her hands rested on the edge of the table.