chapter twenty-one

❝ i always knew, no matter how muchi tried to lie to myself

i tried to lie to myself. ❞

CARINA LEAPT OFF OF the flying creature, shortly followed by Ahsoka and Anakin as the trio landed onto the platform. R2 let out a beep as he rolled into the brunette's side. Ahsoka blinked at the ship that was parked before them, "We're taking this junker? We'd be better off on that big bug."

Anakin gave his padawan a look, "Get aboard and prime the engines." the blonde watched the young girl walk away as he muttered under his breath, "Assuming it has engines."

Carina hid an amused smile as Anakin turned towards her, "How you feeling?" The Algora girl pursed her chapped lips, "Don't worry about me. Keep your focus on the mission, Ani."

Anakin's gaze narrowed slightly as he responded, "You're more important to me than this damned mission." Carina spared a glance as Ahsoka who was too busy meddling with the caretaker droid from before, turning her attention back to her husband, "Not here, Anakin."

The blonde Jedi held a torn expression, lowering his gaze as he reluctantly nodded. Carina diverted her eyes towards Ahsoka who had ignited her saber to dodge shots fired from two battle droids, "She's at it again."

"Let's go."

Carina slipped into the co-pilot seat beside Anakin as Ahsoka and the Huttlet were perched upon the chair behind the couple.

"Now let's get Stinky out of here." Anakin spoke up before pressing the power button, simply to find the engines unable to ignite themselves. Ahsoka let out a grunt in annoyance, "If we can."

"Relax, Snips. R2, see if you can spark the couplers."

The R2 unit moved as told as he began wiring his way through the mechanics. Anakin pursed his lips as his idea didn't work. Carina looked deep in thought for a moment before raising her voice, "Try opening the fuel lifters all the way."

The droid followed the brunette's command and Anakin spared his wife a soft glance as her idea had worked, the engines starting up with a rumble.

"Thanks, buddy." Carina flashed the R2 unit a smile before slouching back in her seat as Anakin began to steer the aircraft through the sky. Carina narrowed her gaze at the distant shots and crossfire in view, Ahsoka blinked at the scenery before chirping, "Master Kenobi is here. Now we'll see some real fireworks."

Carina gaped at the padawan, "Excuse you, I saved your ass from being sliced in half, young lady." Ahsoka glanced over at the brunette, "Oh you were so cool, I meant Master Skywalker."

Carina huffed before leaning back in her seat as it was now Anakin's turn to gape at his apprentice, "Excuse me? What do you call what I've been doing all day?"