chapter twenty-four

❝ i don't know what i believe anymore

❝ i don't know what i believe anymore. ❞

CARINA STEPPED INTO THE council chambers, hands clasped before her as she faced the council, "I was summoned?"

Mace gave his old apprentice a nod, "Yes." just as the Jedi Master spoke, Anakin treaded into the room, hands laced together as he made his way towards the center to stand beside Carina, who didn't dare spare him a glance.

Obi-Wan glanced between the couple as Master Windu had begun speaking, his attention firmly set on the blonde, "Anakin Skywalker, we have approved your appointment to the Council as the Chancellor's personal representative."

Carina's lips parted upon taking in the news, Anakin hadn't told her anything about being so close to Palpatine. Anakin gave the male an appreciative nod, "I will do my best to uphold the principles of the Jedi Order."

Carina's gaze faltered as she blinked, watching Master Yoda who chimed in, "Allow this appointment lightly, the Council does not. Disturbing is this move by the Chancellor."

"I understand."

Mace watched the Skywalker Knight carefully before parting his lips to speak, "You are on this Council, but we do not grant you the rank of Master." At hearing this, Carina instinctively turned to gaze at her husband who blinked in shock at what he was hearing, "What?"

Anakin gazed around, his eyes landing on Obi-Wan for a short moment before glancing back at Mace, "How can you do this? It's outrageous, it's unfair... How can one be on the Council and not be a Master?"

Carina eyed her husband worriedly as Mace Windu gave the blonde a stern look, "Take a seat, young Skywalker." The Algora girl turned to take her chair beside Obi-Wan as Anakin meekly nodded, "Forgive me, Master."

The blonde took his own seat, lips tightly pursed as his eyes were filled with resentment and disappointment. Carina tossed her lover a worried glance before setting her attention on Ki-Adi-Mundi, who appeared as a hologram before beginning to speak, "We have surveyed all systems in the Republic and have found no sign of General Grievous."

Yoda gazed at the fellow Jedi Master, "Hiding in the Outer Rim, Grievous is. The outlying systems, you must sweep." Obi-Wan furrowed his brows together in thought, "It may take some time. We do not have many ships to spare."

"We cannot take any more ships from the front line. We're spread too thin as it is." Mace added in as Carina cut in, "It would be mortal to allow the droid armies to regroup."

Windu spared his padawan a glance as Yoda firmly spoke to Obi-Wan, "Master Kenobi, our spies contact, you must, and then wait."

"What about the droid attack on the Wookiees?"